Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Problem while compiling GTK+

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29

    Problem while compiling GTK+

    I'm keep getting this error message when I try to compile GTK+ with #./configure
    Code:
    configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0    atk >= 1.0.1    pango >= 1.4.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    Anyone can give me a clue on how to solve this?
    Sorry if I sound noob.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Problem while compiling GTK+

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuanlong
    I'm keep getting this error message when I try to compile GTK+ with #./configure
    Code:
    configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0    atk >= 1.0.1    pango >= 1.4.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    Anyone can give me a clue on how to solve this?
    Sorry if I sound noob.

    Do you have the -dev package installed for them.

    Code:
    >$ apt-cache policy libglib2.0-dev
    libglib2.0-dev:
      Installed: 2.4.4-1
      Candidate: 2.4.4-1
      Version Table:
         2.4.5-1 0
            600 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     *** 2.4.4-1 0
            990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    
    >$ apt-cache policy libatk1.0-dev
    libatk1a.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1.6.1-2
      Version Table:
         1.6.1-2.1 0
            600 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         1.6.1-2 0
            990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
    
    >$ apt-cache policy libpango1.0-dev
    libpango1.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1.4.0-4
      Version Table:
         1.5.0-2 0
              1 http://ftp.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
         1.4.0-4 0
            990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
            600 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
    BTW I found all these package names by using apt-cache search package_missing you usually always need the -dev files for compiling. Also when you are missing a file(s) ( eg. it spits out an error telling you that it cannot find a certain file not just the entire library ) during a compile it is also handy to have installed apt-file then you would apt-file update and apt-file search some_library.so.1 to find which package it is in then you can install it and restart the compile.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    Ermm I'm a total newbie to linux(just started last week), so I don't really understand how to do with the apt-file part.

    btw here are the result returned back when I check it
    Code:
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libglib2.0-dev
    libglib2.0-dev:
      Installed: 2.2.3-1
      Candidate: 2.2.3-1
      Version Table:
     *** 2.2.3-1 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libatk1.0-dev
    libatk1.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: (none)
      Version Table:
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libpango1.0-dev
    libpango1.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: (none)
      Version Table:
    I guess it means that I don't have those -dev package installed. Could you guide me where or how to get those -dev package? Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    Ermm I'm a total newbie to linux(just started last week), so I don't really understand how to do with the apt-file part.

    btw here are the result returned back when I check it
    Code:
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libglib2.0-dev
    libglib2.0-dev:
      Installed: 2.2.3-1
      Candidate: 2.2.3-1
      Version Table:
     *** 2.2.3-1 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libatk1.0-dev
    libatk1.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: (none)
      Version Table:
    yuanlong@Zhang:~$ apt-cache policy libpango1.0-dev
    libpango1.0-dev:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: (none)
      Version Table:
    I guess it means that I don't have those -dev package installed. Could you guide me where or how to get those -dev package? Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

    Then try compiling. This must be done in the same terminal window!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

    Then try compiling. This must be done in the same terminal window!
    Ermm sorry for this very noob question but how do I compile? Which of these command is to compile it?
    Code:
    #./configure
    #make
    #make install
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuanlong
    Ermm sorry for this very noob question but how do I compile? Which of these command is to compile it?
    Code:
    #./configure
    #make
    #make install
    Thanks
    All of them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    The same error still comes out when I try to compile.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well first of all have you installed the apps that Stephen mentioned?

    apt-get update && apt-get install libatk1.0-dev libpango1.0-dev

    Also gtk is in Debian so not really sure why you're compiling it.

    apt-get install libgtk2.0-0

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    I know that there is already a gtk inside knoppix but the problem is whenever I try to compile Gaim-0.80(knoppix use version 0.77), it keep giving me this msg
    Code:
    checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
    *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
    *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
    *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
    configure: error:
    *** GTK+ 2.0 is required to build Gaim; please make sure you have the GTK+
    *** development headers installed. The latest version of GTK+ is
    *** always available at http://www.gtk.org/.
    btw thanks for the 2 command. I got it solved already.

    Compiling the gtk+ now and later will try it with gaim again.
    Thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. problem compiling source
    By lewisdw in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 07:35 PM
  2. problem compiling drivers
    By fdellamorte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
  3. problem compiling kernel 2.6.0
    By anhtran81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 06:06 AM
  4. Problem with compiling a c++ code
    By estranged in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 07:13 PM
  5. Compiling new Gaim 0.60 problem and GTK
    By athlonthunder in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$248.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Palo Alto Networks PA-850 12-Port 1U Rackmount Firewall Security Appliance picture

Palo Alto Networks PA-850 12-Port 1U Rackmount Firewall Security Appliance

$74.99