-
Unusual problem with Bastille. Knoppix works, Sarge not!
I am not very experienced with linux. I have previously installed debian using Knoppix as an installer.
After installing I immediatly install tripwire and bastille and chkrootkit and poff the internet.
I then, chkrootkit, dpkg-reconfigure tripwire and InteractiveBastille. I reboot (necessary only for Bastille.
My first point of call is www.grc.com to check my firewall is working correctly. This is where it gets wierd. With knoppix installed to the hard drive I get a "True Stealth" response and a pat on the back saying my common ports don't respond to pings etc.
I did the same with debian sarge netinstalled and I FAIL the True Stealth test. No long afterwards I recieve a rootkit! Reinstalling begins.
My network configuration doesn't change whether using debian Sarge or knoppix-hdinstall.
My question is as knoppix is based on Sarge why am I getting such a different reponse after setting up Bastille? I did this two or three times. what am I doing wrong?
What other info would you need to diagnose this problem?
Otherwise the new debian installer works for me in expert mode, once I sussed out how the partitioning worked. The only annoying thing was it kept asking me about my pcmcia after I told it no twice!
-
This is the www.grc.com report with knoppix.
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2004-08-03 at 15:54:32
Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000
0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested
ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.
TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
-
Over the weekend I experimented with installing debian woody, sarge with new installer, Libranet and Knoppix-installer. Then I ran Bastille as above. With Libranet and Knoppix bastille appears to give me "True Stealth" as defined by www.grc.com while the 'real' debian installs failed to be secured by Bastille or any other firewall that I tried.
Can anybody think why this is so?
Am I failing to install a module when I do a regular debian install?
Similar Threads
-
By pestie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-06-2005, 05:01 AM
-
By andrei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:01 PM
-
By metafizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By chukky25 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:21 PM
-
By skryche in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01