Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cant Get LILO to load

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    I have 2 hdds - when I formatted hdd1 with Win installation it left 25GB of the total 160GB unallocated, so I later formatted that as FAT32. Hdd2 (also 160GB) I partitioned off a 3GB Linux swap and the main part as ext3.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6

    Success!

    Just to let you know I have finally installed to HDD successfully. Now I have a dual boot sys with WinXP one one hdd and Linux on another. In case its of interest to others, this is what I did.

    I re-formatted the second hdd with an 80GB ext3 partition and a 500MB Linux swap partition and installed Knoppix using the newbie option.

    After checking out www.aboutdebian.com where there is a useful page on dual boot setup, I downloaded bootpart from www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm and ran it from WinXP. First running:

    bootpart

    produced a list of partitions. I was then able to run:

    bootpart n bootsect.lnx Debian Linux (where n=the drive with Linux on)

    After that, booting gave the option to select WinXP or Linux. At this stage, the Linux option resulted in a GRB prompt.

    Booting again from the Knoppix CD I ran update-grub to create a menu.lst file thus:

    su
    mount /dev/hdg1 /mnt/hdg1 (this is obviously specific to my hardware)
    chroot /mnt/hdg1
    update-grub

    And Bob's yer uncle - the system booted into Linux from the hdd at the next attempt. Phew! Thanks again for your help, folks.



    At this stage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Lilo loader failed to install...now how to load from GRUB>
    By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. why will 3.2 load and not 3.3
    By jims in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Kingston IronKey Locker+ 50 USB Flash Drive 256GB picture

Kingston IronKey Locker+ 50 USB Flash Drive 256GB

$150.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00