Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cant Get LILO to load

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    4

    Cant Get LILO to load

    Well let me just take the time to say this Distro is amazing, so much so that I decided to install to my hdd. After the installation was complete, keep in mind is was successful, and that I have windows xp pro, but LILO will not boot up when I restart my computer, it automatically boots windows xp pro... ive been running Knoppix for sometime now, but Im not an expert in MBR or Dual Booting, so someone PLZ HELP ME!!! Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6

    Hanging boots

    Fraid I have the same problem. After a few days playing with Knoppix decided to go for a HDD install on a newly built P4 3GHz 1GB RAM Radeon 9200 system. I have WinXP on one HDD and installed a second HDD for Linux. Installed OSL2000 as boot manager. Although the Knoppix HD install process seemed to run ok, there were some error messages at the end, like could not determine the display driver (I have to use module=radeon cheat code on CD boot).

    Attempting to boot from the Linux HDD either results in a blank screen with a hanging cursor or the word GRUB. Hmmm..... must be time for lunch.......

    Any clues folks?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    Since its the first time you install I guess you choose the beginner mode during installation. If not mistaken, you have choose not to install lilo into master boot record(mbr). If so, you will have to configure it manually so that i takes control.
    try using #lilo and reconfigure it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Yuanlong - I´will give it a try. In fact I have now attempted 3 install processes, using each of the install type options in turn, most recently the Debian type. Now when I boot I get into the GRUB shell, but I dont really know what I am doing here. Reading the man pages it looks like I need to run update-grub but the only place I can do that from seems to be in a shell after booting from CD - then it does not find the /boot/grub directory on the HDD and tells me to mkdir, even though the directory is there. I guess thats because its looking in the ramdisk rather than the hdd.

    Feels like I am going round in circles......

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    Well if you don't mind to reinstall it again(since it install very fast) just do it with beginner mode and when it ask about lilo, choose to put it into mbr and you shall see lilo when you boot up.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You can try

    1)Boot your knoppix cd
    2)Open root konsole (su,password)
    3)Type:
    mount /dev/hd* /mnt/hd*
    chroot /mnt/hd*
    *partition which you install knoppix
    4)Run update-grub

    If the update did not add your xp partition, you can manually
    add this line in your Grub's menu.lst:
    title WindowsXP
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    4

    Got her runnin

    Well I have XP PRO and Knoppix both running now... I repartitioned my HDD and reinstalled Knoppix, instead of loading LILO on my partition I chose to load it into my MBR... now she running good, I get a choice on start up to choose, knoppix or wxp... however I use to be running 1024x768 on the live cd and now im can only run 800x600, and when I KXCONFIG I change the res. however when I reboot it doesnt work, also I changed my background and desktop icons but the settings isnt saved. And I would have to hate to do a SAVECONFIG after already installing it to my HDD. Does anyone know what I can atleast do about my screen resolution? Ive read that since my res worked fine with tthe cd I should copy my XF86Config-4 file from the CD to my HDD, does anyone know if this would work or should i edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4? And why isnt my desktop settings being saved on reboot? Thanks guys in advance...

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for your help folks, I'm making progress but still not there!

    After some nightmare hours trashing my WinXP installation by uninstalling OSL2000 I reformatted & reinstalled Win, then started all over with knoppix hd installation, chosing the beginner's option from knoppix-installer.

    I followed your suggestion Shah, and ran update-grub from a root konsole. However, I can't see how to edit the menu.lst as I can't seem to open kwrite as root - the passwords su or sudo don't seem to work there like they do in a shell.

    Booting from hdd I get the following error messages:

    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    Cannot mount selected partition

    OK I've led a sheltered life running windows all these years ...... your further help would be much appreciated.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    .....sussed out that I can start kwrite from a root konsole but I still get the same error messages from grub.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I'm baffled here, you said you have two hard disk, one with xp and the others knoppix, but you have hdd partition. There suppose to have only hda and hdb partition.

    You have to let us know which partition you install xp and knoppix.

    My suggestion is reinstalled knoppix and remove grub from mbr. The reason is, you have to copy of grub, one in mbr and the other in knoppix partition. Grub got headache because it saw it's another clone

    1) To remove grub from mbr, use dos fdisk /mbr or using your xp installation cd, choose console recovery : fixmbr
    This will let you boot straight into Xp.

    2) To remove grub and knoppix from second hard drive you need to delete that partition and create new partition. You can delete this partition from within XP. Do it under control panel--->sytem administrator. Than create two new partition, 500MB for linux swap and the rest for linux ext2 or ext3(doesn't matter since knoppix-installer will reformat it to ext3) using partition manager. If you have partition manager such as Partition magic, it will be much easier. Try googling.

    3) When you install knoppix, choose beginner and let it install lilo in mbr. It will automatically detect all your partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Lilo loader failed to install...now how to load from GRUB>
    By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. why will 3.2 load and not 3.3
    By jims in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB picture

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB

$1319.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



 Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB  picture

Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB

$475.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00