-
Success!
Just to let you know I have finally installed to HDD successfully. Now I have a dual boot sys with WinXP one one hdd and Linux on another. In case its of interest to others, this is what I did.
I re-formatted the second hdd with an 80GB ext3 partition and a 500MB Linux swap partition and installed Knoppix using the newbie option.
After checking out www.aboutdebian.com where there is a useful page on dual boot setup, I downloaded bootpart from www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm and ran it from WinXP. First running:
bootpart
produced a list of partitions. I was then able to run:
bootpart n bootsect.lnx Debian Linux (where n=the drive with Linux on)
After that, booting gave the option to select WinXP or Linux. At this stage, the Linux option resulted in a GRB prompt.
Booting again from the Knoppix CD I ran update-grub to create a menu.lst file thus:
su
mount /dev/hdg1 /mnt/hdg1 (this is obviously specific to my hardware)
chroot /mnt/hdg1
update-grub
And Bob's yer uncle - the system booted into Linux from the hdd at the next attempt. Phew! Thanks again for your help, folks.
At this stage
Similar Threads
-
By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
-
By n()()dle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By Medicate in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
-
By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
-
By jims in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD
$40.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1
$49.99