Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Cannot access hd after installing persistent home 0.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Cannot access hd after installing persistent home 0.4

    I'll start off by asking everyone's forgiveness for the fact that I will be hard to help. I am the ultimate newbie and just recently became a convert to the beauty that is Knoppix, and Linux in general.

    So here's my problem. I have been running Knoppix 3.1 happily for a week now, and decided I'd give KPH 0.4 a try. It all works great, saving my settings and all, but now when I boot into KDE 3.0, my mnt/hde1 drive is ALWAYS mounted, but not really mouted because I can't see anything when I try and click on the icon, it simply shows "0 directories, 0 files, 0 bytes". What's more, I cannot Unmount the drive, instead I get the error:
    Could not unmount device.
    The reported error was:
    umount: /mnt/hde1: device is busy

    SO, I had a similar problem previously after rebooting using save configuration and knoppix floppyconfig at the boot: prompt, but I could always unmount and then remount the drive in order to get access. Any ideas what's changed? Could it be that my persistent home is the process (job??? I'm not sure of the proper term) that's running? That kind of defeats the purpose if it is, doesn't it?

    Anyways, I've tried setting a passwd with alt+ctrl+F1 and listing the jobs as su, but the command litterally just returns me to a root user prompt without error or any other info.

    Please help! I love knoppix, but I really do need to be able to access my HD!!!

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    6

    Found my own solution...

    Hello All;

    I went ahead and found my own solution. I used partition magic, the free and independant version (which is a great shareware program by the way, you can download it at www.ranish.com), and created an extra drive that is only 200 MB in size, I figure that'll be plenty since I am happy with all the software on the Knoppix CD and can't really see myself needing more...

    *sigh* Famous last words....

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent home and NTFS
    By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
  2. persistent home & permissions
    By jeremy2300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 04:40 PM
  3. Persistent Home: Where's all my space?
    By ahfoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:33 PM
  4. how to access "persistent home derectory"
    By EmoRock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:13 AM
  5. Persistent Home and HD access
    By Knewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



ASUS ProArt PX13 13

ASUS ProArt PX13 13" 3K OLED 2-in-1 (Ryzen AI 9 HX 370, 32GB/1TB SSD, RTX 4050)

$1249.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00