What software did you burn with and did you burn it as an image?
Hello,
I have the ISO image on CD and checked the md5 sums and everything good there. When I try to boot from CD nothing happens; just loads Windows like nothing is there.it doesn't seem to matter what computer I put my CD in. I even checked the BIOS and they are set to check CD for boot before hard drive. What am I doing wrong? I thought this was supposed to be simple.
Thanks
What software did you burn with and did you burn it as an image?
The first time I tried to burn the ISO onto a CD and then boot the computer from it, I got nothing--- the computer wouldn't boot onto the CD and it went right into Windows.
I then renamed the ISO file to less than 8 letters. (I named it just knoppix.iso )
Then I right clicked on the iso file and selected "burn to CD".
I am using Roxio's CD Creator 5.35.
I then selected Disc-at-once and made sure the selection for Write CD Text was selected.
The CD burned and when I rebooted I came right into it.
I am actually using it now. And the Konqueror web browser is very similar to IE and Mozilla.
Hope the above info helps.
The question is:
Are the cd burn as data or as an image?
If you burn as data, it won't work as you burn the iso into cd.
If you burn as an image, it will work because the iso will be extracted.
I don't remember my burner giving me any options, but I assume it is the image that I burned to the cd because when I checked the cd with the md5 sum thingy it came out the same as what the mirror site said the md5 sum should be. I'll try shortening the name and reburning.
Thanks for the comments!
I changed the filename to KNOP.iso and reburned it in WinXP like before. I tryed to pay attention for burn options but none were given. Nothing happened on reboot.sigh
Anybody burned their CD in WinXP and gotten it to work?
I use nero in Xp.
is nero free somewhere? or did you purchase it?
Well, you can load a demo for free. IMNSHO, this functionality should really be built into XP. Imagine if you had to buy software to make a floppy.
BTW, if you have another CD drive beside your burner (or if you load fromhd or from the iso file on the hd), you can always burn using K3B in Knoppix for free.
is there a way to know whether I have burned a data Cd or an image? (other than selecting some option before burning the cd or the fact that my computer won't boot into linux)

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99