Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Possible to Install using anything besides KDE?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61

    Possible to Install using anything besides KDE?

    I've tried installing Knoppix on the HD of my PII 266 (64 megs RAM, 500 Gigs HD) machine, and while it comes up, it runs slow as a dog. This is even with a 1 Gig swap setup.

    My assumption from looking at distributions such as Damn Small Linux is that the problem has more to do with KDE than with Knoppix per se.

    Is there a way to do an HD install so that Knoppix uses something like fluxbox? Or is that more of a customization issue?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you have a beginner of debian install you can select IceWM in the login manager as session type.
    Then just start ripping out kde with apt. I can't recall now which window managers knoppix comes with but they should all be listed in the menu. You can also boot the cd with a cheatcode like desktop=icevm

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29

    Setting deafult desktop after HDD install

    I too am in a bit of a bother on this. How do I set the default desktop in a beginner HDD install? I want icewm to run as trhe default desktop. But how do I do this? Must I remove KDM completely? If so how?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    In the kdm login window there is an option for "session" or something of the sort (I'm not where I can look at the kdm login screen right now), you should see options such as KDE icewm failsafe etc.

    Just select the "session" you want and you should be asked if you want that to be your default session.

    HTH

    ~rock

    BTW I have a P-II 266 w/ 64MB ram and it is fine using icewm (much better than KDE) although I primarily use it for a file server

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99