Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix messes with /dev/hda3 and nvidia driver?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix messes with /dev/hda3 and nvidia driver?

    I run knoppix 3.3, do nothing, logout, reboot
    I load my usual gentoo-2.6.7-r11 kernel and get

    -----
    Mounting /dev/hda3 on /newroot failed: invalid argument
    >> Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
    >> The root block device is unspecified or not detected
    ----

    So I reboot and retry my 2.6.7 kernel... same problem... again and again

    So I reboot to my older gentoo-2.4.20 kernel and it loads fine, and

    So I reboot and retry 2.6.7 kernel and now it works... and now I'm puzzled

    Proceeding a startx and my nvidia driver only works for an awfully poor resolution. Reinstalling the driver does nothing.

    I reinstall the kernel, the video drivers, and now all is fine.

    In addition I can replicate this... obviously it's a painful thing to replicate but I can replicate it. Any ideas as to what is going on?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: Knoppix messes with /dev/hda3 and nvidia driver?

    Problem is not with Knoppix. Problem is with turning off the computer completely and restarting... which only happens for me when I log out of Knoppix. Rebooting does not cause any problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by gr
    I run knoppix 3.3, do nothing, logout, reboot
    I load my usual gentoo-2.6.7-r11 kernel and get

    -----
    Mounting /dev/hda3 on /newroot failed: invalid argument
    >> Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
    >> The root block device is unspecified or not detected
    ----

    So I reboot and retry my 2.6.7 kernel... same problem... again and again

    So I reboot to my older gentoo-2.4.20 kernel and it loads fine, and

    So I reboot and retry 2.6.7 kernel and now it works... and now I'm puzzled

    Proceeding a startx and my nvidia driver only works for an awfully poor resolution. Reinstalling the driver does nothing.

    I reinstall the kernel, the video drivers, and now all is fine.

    In addition I can replicate this... obviously it's a painful thing to replicate but I can replicate it. Any ideas as to what is going on?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I believed the problem could be somewhere in your hardware. Either you harddisk or your memory. Try changing bios setting to use either auto detection of harddisk or user setting. Test your memory using any memory testing utility, kanotix has that utility built in.

Similar Threads

  1. How to install nvidia nforce2 driver in knoppix cd version
    By myztik19 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 12:48 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 w/ NVIDIA driver + JACK capable kernel?
    By danboid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 09:42 AM
  3. KNOPPIX 3.3 with pre KDE3.20, P2P,MPlayer,Nvidia driver
    By Arman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:38 PM
  4. nvidia driver ?
    By nIght in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
  5. Nvidia driver in hdd...
    By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$18.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal

$98.95