Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: ISO on CD but doesn't boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    ISO on CD but doesn't boot

    Hello,
    I have the ISO image on CD and checked the md5 sums and everything good there. When I try to boot from CD nothing happens; just loads Windows like nothing is there. it doesn't seem to matter what computer I put my CD in. I even checked the BIOS and they are set to check CD for boot before hard drive. What am I doing wrong? I thought this was supposed to be simple.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    What software did you burn with and did you burn it as an image?

  3. #3

    ISO on CD but doesn't boot-- an answer

    The first time I tried to burn the ISO onto a CD and then boot the computer from it, I got nothing--- the computer wouldn't boot onto the CD and it went right into Windows.

    I then renamed the ISO file to less than 8 letters. (I named it just knoppix.iso )
    Then I right clicked on the iso file and selected "burn to CD".
    I am using Roxio's CD Creator 5.35.
    I then selected Disc-at-once and made sure the selection for Write CD Text was selected.
    The CD burned and when I rebooted I came right into it.

    I am actually using it now. And the Konqueror web browser is very similar to IE and Mozilla.

    Hope the above info helps.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    The question is:
    Are the cd burn as data or as an image?
    If you burn as data, it won't work as you burn the iso into cd.
    If you burn as an image, it will work because the iso will be extracted.

  5. #5
    I don't remember my burner giving me any options, but I assume it is the image that I burned to the cd because when I checked the cd with the md5 sum thingy it came out the same as what the mirror site said the md5 sum should be. I'll try shortening the name and reburning.
    Thanks for the comments!

  6. #6
    I changed the filename to KNOP.iso and reburned it in WinXP like before. I tryed to pay attention for burn options but none were given. Nothing happened on reboot. sigh
    Anybody burned their CD in WinXP and gotten it to work?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I use nero in Xp.

  8. #8
    is nero free somewhere? or did you purchase it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, you can load a demo for free. IMNSHO, this functionality should really be built into XP. Imagine if you had to buy software to make a floppy.

    BTW, if you have another CD drive beside your burner (or if you load fromhd or from the iso file on the hd), you can always burn using K3B in Knoppix for free.

  10. #10
    is there a way to know whether I have burned a data Cd or an image? (other than selecting some option before burning the cd or the fact that my computer won't boot into linux)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95