-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
Durand Hicks
Me too! I purged vi because, I couldn't figure that editor out. How anyone ended up liking vi as an editor is beyond me, that is the most unfriendly, unintiutive editor I have ever laid eyes on. Perhaps the warning could have said that it can be edited in a straight ascii editor such as nano, mcedit, ... you get the idea, as long as it is anything but vi.
The warning is there because when using the visudo it locks the file and prevents any other editing access to it for as long as you have it open this is the same reason vipw exists as well. Oh and BTW you were using VIM (vi improved) not VI if you think it was bad you should try the real thing.
I never understood why this warning was there before. I've long since edited it out.
Personally I use Kate, I have a RootKate icon on the desktop. Just drag'n'drop the Kate icon from the start menu & edit to run as root...with KDE3.2 this is in 'advanced application' properties setups. Anyway, I highly recommend using Kate for newbies unfamiliar with CLI editors.
For CLI editor I use 'joe' (Ms Cuddles favorite app javascript:emoticon('
') just because it's an interface I'm familiar with from a long time ago in the land before Windows or Linux.
Similar Threads
-
By waellinux in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
-
By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
-
By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By ptesone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72