Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!

    I installed Knoppix just to see what Linux was like. I had one problem with it, the display was wrong.

    I have a 17 inch trinitron monitor with a TNT 2 Pro graphics card.

    I had black borders around my Knoppix desktop, but I lived with it. Now half an hour later, I shut down Knoppix, take the CD out, and reboot into 98se.

    The problem is still there, but different. To the sides, my monitor is squished. In the center, the text is allright. But to the sides, like my Start button is 1/10th it's original size. So is my clock.

    Anyone know how to fix this? I'm so scared I messed everything up!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Dont worry. I dont think its something bad.

    Besides, if you just booted from the cd, nothing could have been damaged.

    When starting Linux, it kinda guess on what refresh your monitor would be able to handle
    for the resulution.

    Seems like your monitor remembers refresh rates for a given resolution.

    Maybe..

    Try to use the monitors menu to reset to default or simple adjust it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Yeah, I tried making it into my native resolution in 98. It was still kinda screwy, so I just reinstalled the drivers for my video card.

    Seemed to do the trick. Everything was back to normal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    If you're brave enough to boot Knoppix again I would first get the recommended Horizontal & Vertical refresh rates for your monitor and feed those to Knoppix when you boot. Also it may be a good idea to research your graphics card a bit. That said, I have never had any damaged equipment from Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. One very scared Newbie.
    By grandad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 02:17 PM
  2. In Trouble. boots up then I have a monitor problem , help
    By NEO123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
  3. scared of installing on my laptop
    By SpankySTD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
  4. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. 3.2 trouble
    By jimgeorge in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD

$199.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB 2.5in SATA Internal HDD ST2000NX0403 picture

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB 2.5in SATA Internal HDD ST2000NX0403

$60.00



Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket picture

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket

$249.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99