Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!

    I installed Knoppix just to see what Linux was like. I had one problem with it, the display was wrong.

    I have a 17 inch trinitron monitor with a TNT 2 Pro graphics card.

    I had black borders around my Knoppix desktop, but I lived with it. Now half an hour later, I shut down Knoppix, take the CD out, and reboot into 98se.

    The problem is still there, but different. To the sides, my monitor is squished. In the center, the text is allright. But to the sides, like my Start button is 1/10th it's original size. So is my clock.

    Anyone know how to fix this? I'm so scared I messed everything up!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Dont worry. I dont think its something bad.

    Besides, if you just booted from the cd, nothing could have been damaged.

    When starting Linux, it kinda guess on what refresh your monitor would be able to handle
    for the resulution.

    Seems like your monitor remembers refresh rates for a given resolution.

    Maybe..

    Try to use the monitors menu to reset to default or simple adjust it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Yeah, I tried making it into my native resolution in 98. It was still kinda screwy, so I just reinstalled the drivers for my video card.

    Seemed to do the trick. Everything was back to normal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    If you're brave enough to boot Knoppix again I would first get the recommended Horizontal & Vertical refresh rates for your monitor and feed those to Knoppix when you boot. Also it may be a good idea to research your graphics card a bit. That said, I have never had any damaged equipment from Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. One very scared Newbie.
    By grandad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 02:17 PM
  2. In Trouble. boots up then I have a monitor problem , help
    By NEO123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
  3. scared of installing on my laptop
    By SpankySTD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
  4. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. 3.2 trouble
    By jimgeorge in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290 8

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290 8" Tablet (Black 32GB) Wifi Only 1010-07T

$45.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$55.00



Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US

$51.77