Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: eht1 and samba

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6

    eht1 and samba

    Hello World,

    first of all Ihave to apologize for asking the following questions. I am sure that they occured a couple of thousand times before. However I would be very pleased if some of you guys could help.

    Here we go.

    As you might guess, I am a complete NewBee in Linux/Knoppix topics. I just changed my machine's OS to Knopix because it seems that there is no MS OS that can handle a multi-ethernet-interface computer properly and Linux is such a piece of heaven.

    I installed Knoppix v3.3 on my Hard Disk using the knoppix-install script and told the script to generate an OS behaving like the CD.
    My machine has two ethernet interfaces, where eth0 is configured to use DHCP and handle my internet connection via lan.
    eth1 should be configured using a static IP in an additional lan.

    Here comes the problem:
    eth1 is configured at startup using DHCP as well. How can I change that? Now, I have to manually tell the system to use some other IP setings by clicking on that nice Penguin next to the KDE "K" in the lower left corner (I think the scrpt is calles netcardconfig or something.).

    In addition to that, I would like to start samba sharing all the Drives on user level (which means, requesting username and password from the other machine and then grant access). At the moment, I need to start the server manually by typing "/etc/init.d/samba start" as root. How can this be done at startup?

    Now, thank you again in advance for your help,

    Basti

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Nano19

    You need to assign fixed ip address to your eth1, to achive this you need to edit your /etc/network/interface
    add line something like this :
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.x.y
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.x.0
    broadcast 192.168.x.255
    * x,y = whatever you want

    to start samba at boot time, run in root konsole:
    update-rc.d samba defaults

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Hey Shah,

    first of all, thanks for your Interest. I will give it a try when I come home again!

    Cheers,

    Nano

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    I managed to convice samba to run at startup. Thanks for that so far

    I tried adding the lines above in the file /etc/network/interfaces but I noticed that these lines are present.
    I think this is because I have run "netcardconfig" on eth1. But somehow this options are not kept when shutting down the system. I noticed that when the machine boots, the interfaces are in DHCP-mode. Somewhere between the initialisation of the hotplug manager and the xsession, I can read in little borg-green letters that eth0 AND eth1 are present and that DHCP broadcast is used. Editing the file by hand or by script does not seem to change that...

    By the way - how can I change the machine's network name from "Knoppix" to something else? I always get confused since there are two "Knoppix" machines in the LAN

    Thanks again for your help,

    Basti

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    To change your hostname use this command in root shell:
    hostname [type hostname]

    For your ip address problem, I cannot help you further unless you post your /etc/network/interfaces.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Ok, this is how my file looks like:

    /etc/network/interfaces
    after running netcardconfig
    <zick>

    #some comment lines
    auto lo eth1
    iface lo inet loopback







    #there are really 13 lines of nothing here...





    iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.42.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.42.0
    broadcast 192.168.42.255
    gateway 192.168.42.254
    </zack>

    Cheers,

    Basti

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    It looks like your eth0 hasn't configured yet. You could try edit your /etc/network/interface and look like this:


    #some comment lines
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto lo eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.42.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.42.0
    broadcast 192.168.42.255
    gateway 192.168.42.254

    Try restarting your network: /etc/init.d/networking restart

    Then check with: ifconfig -a and route

    **Sometime it won't work in kernel 2.4 and work in kernel 2.6

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Hey Shah,

    Wow - you're a genius. That helped. Thanks for the solutiuon!

    Unfortunately, it worked for exactly 5 hours and then the machine crashed after I changed some other settings. When now booting, BIOS tells me that "no Operating System is installed", which is before the bootmanager is loaded. It seems that somehow the bootmanager was kicked off the Master Boot Record. Formatting the Disk and re-installing Knoppix did not help - always the same BIOS prompt with any install configuration (Debian-Like, Knoppix-CD-like, lilo in partition, lilo in mbr doesn't seem to matter).

    I think I shouldn't have played around with the settings...

    Do you know a solution to that problem as well?

    Sorry for laming...

    Basti

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Your mbr is corrupted.
    You could try run dos fdisk /mbr or or just delete all your partition using fdisk. Then create new partition for linux. Make the partition bootable. Since you using this computer just to run knoppix, choose install lilo to mbr.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Ok, thanks. I'll try when I am back home which will be in a couple of days! Enjoy your week-end,

    Basti

Similar Threads

  1. samba is gay
    By ghostblaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
  2. Samba and MTU
    By jimbo62 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 03:22 AM
  3. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. how to use samba?
    By juan_sck in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Samba?
    By Tovi in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB SAS 12Gb ST4000NM0025 7200 512n 3.5 HDD picture

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB SAS 12Gb ST4000NM0025 7200 512n 3.5 HDD

$48.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise HDD (V6313)

$61.56



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95