Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Starting Postgres using Knoppix (windows - cygwin)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2

    Starting Postgres using Knoppix (windows - cygwin)

    My default OS is windows 2000. I have installed cygwin and runpostgres database using it. Which works fine.

    When I Boot using Knoppix live cd. i can go to the folder where I have exe files to start the db serve. i get a message that user knopppix does not have execute access, this folder has only read access. I tired changing the file settings to execute for all but does not chnage the access.

    1. Can I create a user in knoppix which is same as windows user, so that it will have full access on the local hardrive.

    2. Is this the way I run applications in windows ? I mean start,by executing applications as I would in windows.

    What i want to do is run postgres on the machine and be able to use it using both windows and knoppix, is it possible?

    thanks
    pathy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Uuuuhm.

    You run cygwin, a linux-emulator on windows, to run postgres.
    Now you want to run wine, to run windows, to run postgres.

    Well - for having only one database, which needn't be synchronized, I can understand...
    I don't know whether the dataformat of both can be shared - perhaps you read something on the postgresql - website.
    Or make a backup of the data, install the linux-postgresql-db, preferably the same version (number), and try to give as data-dir argument the mounted windows-partition, cygwin-postgresql datadir.

Similar Threads

  1. RE KNOPPIX 3.7 NO STARTING
    By KIRAN in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Starting the NX Server on Knoppix 3.7
    By eco2geek in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. cygwin/x with XDMCP not starting
    By mshanmuga in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. How to Setup OPenACS, Postgres on Live CD
    By pathy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:05 AM
  5. Starting Knoppix from Windows 2000
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00



Lot of 10  Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED picture

Lot of 10 Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED

$22000.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



LOT of 2) CISCO UCS-IOM-2304 2304 FABRIC EXTENDER picture

LOT of 2) CISCO UCS-IOM-2304 2304 FABRIC EXTENDER

$49.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99