Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: usb pendrive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6

    usb pendrive

    I want edit some files stored on a 256M fat32 usb pendrive using knoppix.

    Starting as normal user, the pendrive is detected but I cannot save.
    Starting with knoppix single, the pendrive is not detected (as I can see).

    What can I do ?

    Massimo Corinaldesi

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seremban, Malaysia
    Posts
    29
    did you mount the pendrive?

    If you didn't, that should be your problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Yes, I mounted as user the pendrive and I opened the files into the editor.

    An error message appeared on saving telling I haven't the permissions to modify a file.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I haven't used USB sticks yet myself. However, I imagine its just that you did not change ro to rw. When you boot from the liveCD, all mounted drives are ro by default to protect the noobie!

    Regards,
    AJG

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    After reading your message I changed to rw: knoppix still reports to me it can't overwrite the file.

    Massimo

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Try this. After you change the status, unmount and remount the drive - Rt click-umount, then left click again. I cannot explain why. For some reason, I have to do this after changing rw options with the desktop interface. If someone else can explain, I'm all ears and very curious.

    Sort of like my old Commodore 64's external floppy drive - for some reason, a real good WHAMP! on the top of it with my fist was sometimes necessary to make it writable too. Never could understand why. Thank goodness that software has evolved to the point of making physical violence largely unnecessary.

    jd

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Thank goodness that software has evolved to the point of making physical violence largely unnecessary.
    You obviously haven't used Windows ME recently, have you?

    Best Wishes
    Pete

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by el_supremo
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Thank goodness that software has evolved to the point of making physical violence largely unnecessary.
    You obviously haven't used Windows ME recently, have you?

    Best Wishes
    Pete
    LOL !! No, I converted our only ME box to XP a little over a year ago, and it was worth every penny for the upgrade!! Thanks for the smile!

    Still, I think ME's reputation as the worst of the Windows releases is not fully deserved. After all, it represented the highest evolution of W95. Of the W95 variants, W98SE seems to be the most highly regarded, and ME just put some additional eye candy on top, and added a restore utility that carried forward into XP. Given that the pre-W95 Windows was simply a shell to sit on top of lowly DOS, the advances made to create W95 & subq. were pretty significant for a program not originally conceived to be even a consumer-level OS. Granted, it's pretty pathetic when compared with *nix, but not all that bad when taken in the context of the times and what it was originally conceived to do. Who would have thought that American business would have seriously placed its trust in the original MS OSes in the first place, for anything other that the original stand-alone consumer-level, non-networked personal computer??

    jd

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well - the right way to specify the access to the usb-drive is /etc/fstab and nothing else.
    You do it once, and - voila.

    I guess /etc/fstab is older than X11, KDE, and usb-drives.
    And linux was multiuser-system ever, where it's possible and neccessary, to restrict rights to write to files on a per-user level.

    And the knoppix-team decided to make knoppix as secure as possible, not as userfriendly as possible, to prevent newbies from damaging something.

    If you want to leave newbie-state, read man fstab and man mount.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Problem solved.

    I was booting knoppix with the pendrive inserted. Otherwise, when inserting the pendrive after knoppix boot, all problems go away.

    That demonstrates I'm definitely a neewbe.


    Massimo Corinaldesi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cant modify files on pendrive
    By fevel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
  3. Cant Find KNOPPIX filesystem - Booting from USB PenDrive
    By piper in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 04:23 PM
  4. usd pendrive, does it works?
    By Brite in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM 43W0331 System x3550 Server Board LGA771 DDR2 16 DIMM RJ-45 picture

IBM 43W0331 System x3550 Server Board LGA771 DDR2 16 DIMM RJ-45

$49.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99