That's odd. Booting with the pendrive installed is the only way I ever do it - in fact, I typically save my Knoppix configuration to a thumbdrive instead of the HD, and I wouldn't be able to do this if I couldn't boot with it inserted. I always assumed that for a live CD boot (or poor man's or Knoppix-style hdinstall) with autodetection (IOW, not a hd install), Knoppix wouldn't recognize anything that didn't go through the autodetection process. So, no, that's not a newbie mistake to boot with a pendrive installed - that's entirely legit.Originally Posted by Massimo
I recently bought a USB thumbdrive that I had problems with in Knoppix - couldn't make it writable. But after I reinstalled the FAT32 filesystem to it in a root terminal, all problems went away, and it behaved like any other thumbdrive. Could be that you might want to try that, because Knoppix should be able to autodetect it. The only other thing I could think of to explain the difference was that this particular thumbdrive, unlike my others, was USB2.0 rated, which should be fully compatible even if the system and/or OS aren't USB2.0. Anyway, now that I let Knoppix make a new vfat file system for it, it works fine in both Knoppix and Windows, inserted on boot or not.
My bet is that something else happened to make it work, and I suspect that you may be misattributing the change to the time at which it is inserted. Just a guess, anyway.
jd

Metro DataVac PRO MDV-1 Computer Cleaning System Blower/Vacuum Complete w/ Bags
$129.99
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
Meudeen Air Duster - Computer Vacuum Cleaner - for Keyboard Cleaning - Cordless
$42.56
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
Cordless Air Duster Blower Inflator Vacuum 4-in-1, 360MPH, 51K RPM, PC Cleaning
$91.99
KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...
$64.99
Compressed Air Duster,150000Rpm Electric Air Duster, Vacuum Cleaner & Bag Vacuum
$72.62