did you mount the pendrive?
If you didn't, that should be your problem.
I want edit some files stored on a 256M fat32 usb pendrive using knoppix.
Starting as normal user, the pendrive is detected but I cannot save.
Starting with knoppix single, the pendrive is not detected (as I can see).
What can I do ?
Massimo Corinaldesi
did you mount the pendrive?
If you didn't, that should be your problem.
Yes, I mounted as user the pendrive and I opened the files into the editor.
An error message appeared on saving telling I haven't the permissions to modify a file.
I haven't used USB sticks yet myself. However, I imagine its just that you did not change ro to rw. When you boot from the liveCD, all mounted drives are ro by default to protect the noobie!
Regards,
AJG
After reading your message I changed to rw: knoppix still reports to me it can't overwrite the file.
Massimo
Try this. After you change the status, unmount and remount the drive - Rt click-umount, then left click again. I cannot explain why. For some reason, I have to do this after changing rw options with the desktop interface. If someone else can explain, I'm all ears and very curious.
Sort of like my old Commodore 64's external floppy drive - for some reason, a real good WHAMP! on the top of it with my fist was sometimes necessary to make it writable too. Never could understand why. Thank goodness that software has evolved to the point of making physical violence largely unnecessary.
jd
You obviously haven't used Windows ME recently, have you?Originally Posted by j.drake
![]()
Best Wishes
Pete
LOL !! No, I converted our only ME box to XP a little over a year ago, and it was worth every penny for the upgrade!! Thanks for the smile!Originally Posted by el_supremo
Still, I think ME's reputation as the worst of the Windows releases is not fully deserved. After all, it represented the highest evolution of W95. Of the W95 variants, W98SE seems to be the most highly regarded, and ME just put some additional eye candy on top, and added a restore utility that carried forward into XP. Given that the pre-W95 Windows was simply a shell to sit on top of lowly DOS, the advances made to create W95 & subq. were pretty significant for a program not originally conceived to be even a consumer-level OS. Granted, it's pretty pathetic when compared with *nix, but not all that bad when taken in the context of the times and what it was originally conceived to do. Who would have thought that American business would have seriously placed its trust in the original MS OSes in the first place, for anything other that the original stand-alone consumer-level, non-networked personal computer??
jd
Well - the right way to specify the access to the usb-drive is /etc/fstab and nothing else.
You do it once, and - voila.
I guess /etc/fstab is older than X11, KDE, and usb-drives.
And linux was multiuser-system ever, where it's possible and neccessary, to restrict rights to write to files on a per-user level.
And the knoppix-team decided to make knoppix as secure as possible, not as userfriendly as possible, to prevent newbies from damaging something.
If you want to leave newbie-state, read man fstab and man mount.
Problem solved.
I was booting knoppix with the pendrive inserted. Otherwise, when inserting the pendrive after knoppix boot, all problems go away.
That demonstrates I'm definitely a neewbe.
Massimo Corinaldesi

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99
Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99
AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00