Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL

    I have Knoppix installed on my Emachine desktop but can't seem to get it to boot from the CD on my Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL laptop. It has a docking station with a CD/DVD ROM. I've tried all of the cheatcodes with the same error message.......Cant find Knoppix filesystem.

    I work in an IT department with all computers running Windows and have used the Knoppix CD as a recovery tool. It will read a hardrive and copy files even when the hardrive is making sounds that should only be coming from a metal shop. I am so impressed with it that it is now my main OS on the desktop and I want to make it the same on my laptop!

    Anyone ever get the CD to boot on a R505 Sony laptop? Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Same Problem

    I am unable to as well, althought the same CD will boot my Sony Vaio PCV RX550 desktop beautifully.

    I get the message that says, "an unsupported mode was passed". Then, regardless which mode (or "scan") is chosen, it boots to that "very limited" shell.

    I assume that it's not probing the video card correctly, but I haven't seen any options that correct this. I have tried to pass the fb1024x768, etc, options but get the same thing.

    Has anyone been able to get Knoppix to work on the 505's?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    when i have recived the message "an unsupported mode was passed" I use vga=normal.
    my laptop is a pcg-fr130 I use :

    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=fbdev fb=1024x768 dma lang=us
    johnb

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1
    This is due to the Vairo R505's docking station using IEEE1394. The DVD rom drives are firewire. By default knoppix kernel does not have have this on boot. You need to use a knoppix variant such as

    Helix :: http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

    or

    Overclockix :: http://overclockix.octeams.com/

    Now if one of you brave souls tries overclockix please let me know if and how you got PCMCIA to run.

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Vaio VGN S150
    By tlewis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:29 AM
  2. Sony VAIO PCG-V505DX
    By adler in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
  3. Sony Vaio hangs - help!
    By bdeli in forum Laptops
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
  4. No chance - Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL
    By emsofo in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 01:16 PM
  5. Knoppix on Sony Vaio
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99