I have an Conexant HCF modem and a wireless adapter than needs a more current wlan-ng driver. I've got the drivers (code, that is -- I have to "make" them).
Question is, how can I install them when booted from the CD?
I am assuming that actually running "make" won't work, for two reasons:
1) the kernel source code doesn't appear to be installed
2) a lot of key directories (including /lib/modules) are Read Only
At any rate, actually trying to compile them results in errors I can't quite work around.
But I've also tried compiling them on a hard-drive install with source installed -- which did work (for the hard drive install, that is). So in theory, shouldn't I just be able to put the drivers on a floppy, then "modprobe" them in to place during a live-CD session?
The two problems I've had trying were:
1) modprobe seems to only want to look in /lib/modules for modules (a place I can't write-to), and can't be coerced to look elsewhere
2) frankly, I can't exactly figure out if I am getting all the files I need to copy, nor whether there are other dependencies that need to be set-up before my modules would would work. Do I need to do something to "modules.conf", for example? Are there files outside of /lib/modules that need to be copied too?
All in all, I'm pretty lost here -- anybody have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$79.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2
$34.99
Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99
Core i3-10105F 4-Core Comet Lake Processor 3.70GHz 8GT/s 6MB LGA 1200 CPU Tray
$79.00