Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Run a different desktop for HD Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    19

    Run a different desktop for HD Knoppix

    I'm looking to change the desktop from KDE to Fluxbox. Yet, I would like to be able to choose on startup which desktop I want in Lilo. Is there a way I can simply add a new item in Lilo to boot Fluxbox? For example, I would like my Lilo screen to look like this:
    Windows 2000
    Linux KDE
    Linux Fluxbox
    If this isn't possible, could I write a sript to be run n startup to prompt for which desktop I want? I'm running Knoppix 3.4. When I installed, I chose the standard multiuser system. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    GuyLeDouche

    It is possible if you using knoppix style hdd installation because only single user directly login to Xserver. I believed you can duplicate your lilo's entry that point to the image you want to boot with, label it and append cheatcode desktop=?.

    But in your case, which have multi user login, it's aloooooot tricky because only one user can be preselect to login. I would not discuss how because it wil give me and you a big headache.

    There's no such thing as script for lilo.

    Anyway you actually don't need that in lilo because it's already set in your kdm. Check your kdm (the login screen where you enter your password), on the right side, there is a button labeled menu. Click that and you will see several type of desktop that you can use. Just select.


  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    19
    Thanks shah! I do have the menu and I can go straight into Fluxbox.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix link on desktop
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8.1 - desktop cheatcodes
    By Mathiasdm in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 10:12 PM
  3. Knoppix STD user interface/desktop
    By gonzo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 02:16 AM
  5. recover knoppix desktop
    By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 04:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99