Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Setting up broadband connection

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Setting up broadband connection

    Hello all. I am running Knoppix from a cd. I am trying the to use the internet on Knoppix. I have a broadband (384Kbps) connection. I follow the instructions from the tutorial but still no success. Any solutions? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    internet connection

    Did you configure the network card? Go to Start menu.....to KNOPPIX....and look in there for the network card configuration.....it is simple to do. Just click on the network card configuration, a small terminal screen will pop up and ask if you want to initialize dhcp....I answer YES and it says OK.....then close window and click on one of your browsers and see if it connects.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Setting up broadband connection

    Quote Originally Posted by whizkid25
    Hello all. I am running Knoppix from a cd. I am trying the to use the internet on Knoppix. I have a broadband (384Kbps) connection. I follow the instructions from the tutorial but still no success. Any solutions? Thanks.
    The absolutely best solution for any broadband user is to spend a very small amount on a DSL/Cable router. These used to cost over $100, but now many can be had for as low as $10 or less (often after rebate). The router will take care of any login or other connection issues and will serve as a DHCP server. You just fire up Knoppix from the CD and (assuming some software company who hates Linux hasn't mucked with your NIC eeprom) Knoppix connects without any extra work on your part.

    In addition, a router provides an extra level of firewall, and keeps uninvited and unwanted internet access off your computer, no matter what OS you happen to be running at any moment. Also, almost all home routers include a 4 port switch, which will make it easy to add other computers to a home network or to allow a friend to share your Internet connection and transfer files between you and him if he brings over a notebook. And in the $9.99 to $29.99 price range you can often even get a wireless router, which includes all of the above (including the 4 wired ports) as well as support for wireless connection (wireless connections in Linux and Knoppix are very dependent on the type of wireless card or interface your computer uses; please read the many posts in this forum about wireless access issues before buying a wireless card or just posting yet another "I can't get wireless to work" message).

    As to brands, Linksys is one of the best known, but I like the features offered by D-Link better, and their price is much more attractive. Functional but less feature rich than D-Link is the SMC line. Netgear works but has some reasonably significant problems, and Belkin comes in close to or at the bottom.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    still need help with networking

    Hi Harry.....I have a Linksys router connected to my cable internet. I want to be able to network my laptop and desktop, both running Knoppix 3.4.

    I have the laptop, my desktop, and my wifes desktop hooked up to the ports on the router. I just want to be able to access my desktop from the laptop and vice versa.....I have no experience with networking computers together. I did post a message on here previously on this but still need help. What would be the SIMPLEST way to do this? I would like to use my desktop as the HOST and my laptop as CLIENT. I would like to be able to transfer files back and forth between the two. My laptop HOSTNAME is GATEWAY and my desktop HOSTNAME is HOME. Those are the names I chose at the time for lack of something better. I need STEP BY STEP instructions on how to get the 2 computers communicating with each other. Some of the suggestions others had posted are too confusing cause i dont know how to do this. I dont plan to add wifes computer to the equation. Just my 2. OK well if you could help me with this I would be grateful...thank you...bob58

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: still need help with networking

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    ....I have a Linksys router ..... I want to be able to network my laptop and desktop, both running Knoppix 3.4.

    .... I just want to be able to access my desktop from the laptop and vice versa.....
    Sorry, bob58 (can I just call you 58?), but I'm not a Linux heavy and don't have the answers for you. I transfer files between systems on my network using windows all of the time. I have accessed files on my windows system with Knoppix without much trouble as well. I've also used the VNC client (and server) in Knoppix, which gave me a handy way recently to maintain my main desktop in my office while I was ill and confined to bed, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. I have only run Knoppix from CD, and I have not done any Knoppix to Knoppix networking.

    Just what you mean by "access my desktop" is not clear from the above. If you want a windows type file sharing then you might want to run a FTP server on the system you want to be able to share files from. Linux should give you ways to actually log into the other computers (something I can't do with my win98 desktop), but I'm not the right person to talk you through this. The VNC server may give you a quick and dirty way to "access the desktop", but I suspect there are other tools that may be more focused on what you want. I hope other more experienced than I can answer your questions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    whizkid25, tell us 1st if you're connecting through USB or ethernet. I suppose you have a working internet connection from windows, so from a CMD prompt type "ipconfig/all > ipcfg.txt", then post the content of ipcfg.txt

    bob58, you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread; it's confusing for everyone. Check your other thread where we'll try to sort out your problem.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: still need help with networking

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    Hi Harry.....I have a Linksys router connected to my cable internet. I want to be able to network my laptop and desktop, both running Knoppix 3.4.

    I have the laptop, my desktop, and my wifes desktop hooked up to the ports on the router. I just want to be able to access my desktop from the laptop and vice versa.....I have no experience with networking computers together. I did post a message on here previously on this but still need help. What would be the SIMPLEST way to do this? I would like to use my desktop as the HOST and my laptop as CLIENT. I would like to be able to transfer files back and forth between the two. My laptop HOSTNAME is GATEWAY and my desktop HOSTNAME is HOME. Those are the names I chose at the time for lack of something better. I need STEP BY STEP instructions on how to get the 2 computers communicating with each other. Some of the suggestions others had posted are too confusing cause i dont know how to do this. I dont plan to add wifes computer to the equation. Just my 2. OK well if you could help me with this I would be grateful...thank you...bob58
    Assuming you have started ssh on both machines (/etc/init.d/ssh start) then all you need to do is open Konqueror and type fish://192.168.0.1/ and it will prompt you for the user name and password once entered then you will have access to the files. If split the window in Konqueror before you connect then you can drag and drop the file(s) for transfer. You would of course change the IP in the line for the one in use for the machine you are connecting to or if you have the name for the machine in your /etc/hosts file then you can use it to connect an example below.

    Code:
    [HappyTux:/home/stephen]# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    192.168.0.1     HappyTux
    192.168.0.2     DocTux
    192.168.0.3     BashfulTux
    192.168.0.4     SleepyTux
    192.168.0.5     GrumpyTux
    192.168.0.10    knoppixtest
    192.168.0.254   DoopeyTux
    # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    # (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
    
    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    So with this file if I want to connect to 192.168.0.2 then I can use fish://DocTux and get the password/login prompt.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    melbourne-aussie
    Posts
    1

    no networking adapter

    hi, from melbourne here. im currently using knoppix 3.2. the thing is that it says that my machine does not have any networking adapter installed instead of sayin Nvidia Nforce MCP onboard networking adapter . any idea fellas?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    whizkid25, tell us 1st if you're connecting through USB or ethernet. I suppose you have a working internet connection from windows, so from a CMD prompt type "ipconfig/all > ipcfg.txt", then post the content of ipcfg.txt

    bob58, you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread; it's confusing for everyone. Check your other thread where we'll try to sort out your problem.
    well I am connection through an ethernet port. I already have an ADSL modem. It works great with Win XP Pro.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well bob58....I followed your instructions...and now it works? Hooray! Thanks all for your help. Really appreciate it. ^_^

Similar Threads

  1. Broadband
    By tfoso in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 10:04 PM
  2. Broadband Connection setup!
    By amodjoshi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 08:32 AM
  3. Setting up Dsl connection
    By jdmml in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:24 PM
  4. need help getting broadband connection to work
    By username in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 01:37 AM
  5. Broadband dialup
    By Databug in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95