-
Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
I've been trying to get my HD Knoppix install on my laptop to use Alsa and failing miserably.
I've tried the normal proceedures, such as /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig and alsa_init, but to no avail. Both give me the same thing...
Preparing modules for alsa...
And then it quits back to the root shell.
sndconfig also gives me a strange error:
| You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. │
│ (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path). │
│ To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular │
│ sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debian GNU/Linux or a 2.2 │
│ kernel, and sound must be compiled as modules.
This is extremely strange since a) Knoppix is both based off of Debian and uses a kernel much more advanced that 2.2 and b) lsmod reports that there are sound modules loaded.
Any advice?
-
Re: Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work

Originally Posted by
ScreamingTemporalDoom
Any advice?
Certainly not expert advice but here's my experience:
I couldn't get sound to work either until I booted with the 2.6 kernel + alsa,
i.e. "knoppix26 alsa". Also, every time the machine boots it turns the mixer off. I have to fire up kmix and toggle it on.
-
While I appreciate the help, and indeed that does work, it doesn't exactly help me with my current problem.
I'm running Knoppix from a harddisk, not from the CD. How do I get Alsa working? The sound card is detected and the module appearently loaded, but no Alsa support.
OSS works fine, but will randomly conk out. I'd rather have Alsa.
Surely the answer cannot be the same as Windows.. reinstall?
-
Senior Member
registered user
My advice :
Do a harddisk install using alsa cheatcode and choose debian style.
Similar Threads
-
By Antaeus in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2005, 04:00 AM
-
By fla in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 07:20 PM
-
By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 16
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
-
By Groke in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM
-
By Ragaprong in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Sealed vintage Microsoft Office Professional & Bookshelf for Windows 95
$100.00

Vintage Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition CD ROM With Key OEM
$39.95

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Mo487 In Black
$300.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00