-
Senior Member
registered user
automatic drive mounting??
When I boot from the CD all drives are automaticaly mounted and unmounted as needed. And there's icons on the desktop for all the drives and partiations that are accessible.
I just installed to the HDD and everything seems to run fine but I have to manualy mount unmount everything which is a pain. Where did the function go? did I do something wrong in setup or is there something I needto enable? If it matters, I'm useing version 3.1 and installed with knx-hdinstall
-
This is becomming a FAQ so I copied the text below to the FAQInstall
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...ll?action=edit
Those who are more familiar with mounting, please check it for accuracy.
Floppy and cdrom are not mounted because Knoppix mounts them in the root "/" directory. You will see them there. Also look at your /etc/fstab file. It will show where and how they are mounted. i.e.:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
Because of the "noauto" option in the fsab file they are not automatically mounted on boot. Remove the "noauto" option to make them available.
The "Floppy disk" icon on the desktop points to the wrong mount point. Change its properties to reflect /floppy or change the mount point in fstab to /mnt/floppy.
To mount from the command line:
mount /dev/cdrom /your/mount/point
and
mount /dev/fd0 /your/mount/point
Good Luck,
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Actually you usually *want* the floppy and cdrom to be noauto. Otherwise if there's no disc in the drive, you get an error message when ' mount -a ' gets called by the init scripts.

Originally Posted by
mmaki
This is becomming a FAQ so I copied the text below to the FAQInstall
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...ll?action=edit
Those who are more familiar with mounting, please check it for accuracy.
Floppy and cdrom are not mounted because Knoppix mounts them in the root "/" directory. You will see them there. Also look at your /etc/fstab file. It will show where and how they are mounted. i.e.:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
Because of the "noauto" option in the fsab file they are not automatically mounted on boot. Remove the "noauto" option to make them available.
The "Floppy disk" icon on the desktop points to the wrong mount point. Change its properties to reflect /floppy or change the mount point in fstab to /mnt/floppy.
To mount from the command line:
mount /dev/cdrom /your/mount/point
and
mount /dev/fd0 /your/mount/point
Good Luck,
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
You want the noauto option there otherwise you will get a no medium found error ever time you boot. Unless of course you want to leave a floppy and a cdrom in the drives.
For the floppy the /mnt/floppy directory does not exist (at least on my machine) just delete the shortcut and create one that points to /floppy
-
Senior Member
registered user
I guess I'll have to type faster
-
Thanks for the correction. I removed my FAQ from the FAQInstall.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I got my drives working by using what you guys told me about the locations and just making new links on the desktop that were set to auto mount when clicked. All is well now. thanks.
Now if only I had a real modem....
Similar Threads
-
By csanburn in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-04-2005, 01:01 AM
-
By mickfilipe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By Phishman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 04:09 AM
-
By ggravier in forum Ideas
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 07:44 AM
-
By LinuxDistros.CJB.NET in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L
$60.00