Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Sudo list.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

    Sudo list.

    How do I add myself to the sudoers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Sudo list.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    How do I add myself to the sudoers.
    As root visudo then use the examples in the file for your guide.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Aw cmon Stephen are you gonna punish the noobs w/ vi? vi is about as friendly as a coiled rattlesnake! You don't have to use vi you can use any editor you want.

    su
    <passwd>
    xedit /etc/sudoers

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Aw cmon Stephen are you gonna punish the noobs w/ vi? vi is about as friendly as a coiled rattlesnake! You don't have to use vi you can use any editor you want.

    su
    <passwd>
    xedit /etc/sudoers

    Code:
    # sudoers file.
    #
    # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
    #
    # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
    #
    Not according to that ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I don't even have vi on my Linux boxen but I'm a sudoer! OK so I'm a rebel. :P

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Me too! I purged vi because, I couldn't figure that editor out. How anyone ended up liking vi as an editor is beyond me, that is the most unfriendly, unintiutive editor I have ever laid eyes on. Perhaps the warning could have said that it can be edited in a straight ascii editor such as nano, mcedit, ... you get the idea, as long as it is anything but vi.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    Me too! I purged vi because, I couldn't figure that editor out. How anyone ended up liking vi as an editor is beyond me, that is the most unfriendly, unintiutive editor I have ever laid eyes on. Perhaps the warning could have said that it can be edited in a straight ascii editor such as nano, mcedit, ... you get the idea, as long as it is anything but vi.
    The warning is there because when using the visudo it locks the file and prevents any other editing access to it for as long as you have it open this is the same reason vipw exists as well. Oh and BTW you were using VIM (vi improved) not VI if you think it was bad you should try the real thing.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    Me too! I purged vi because, I couldn't figure that editor out. How anyone ended up liking vi as an editor is beyond me, that is the most unfriendly, unintiutive editor I have ever laid eyes on. Perhaps the warning could have said that it can be edited in a straight ascii editor such as nano, mcedit, ... you get the idea, as long as it is anything but vi.
    The warning is there because when using the visudo it locks the file and prevents any other editing access to it for as long as you have it open this is the same reason vipw exists as well. Oh and BTW you were using VIM (vi improved) not VI if you think it was bad you should try the real thing.
    I never understood why this warning was there before. I've long since edited it out.

    Personally I use Kate, I have a RootKate icon on the desktop. Just drag'n'drop the Kate icon from the start menu & edit to run as root...with KDE3.2 this is in 'advanced application' properties setups. Anyway, I highly recommend using Kate for newbies unfamiliar with CLI editors.

    For CLI editor I use 'joe' (Ms Cuddles favorite app javascript:emoticon('') just because it's an interface I'm familiar with from a long time ago in the land before Windows or Linux.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Is this where you post your favorite editor?

    I think visudo also refuses to save the file if you've made a mistake in the syntax, or at least tells you about the mistake.
    That said, I once ran vimtutor and the next command was apt-get install nano.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    So how do I add to the llist? I don't know how to edit the list because I can't find it. Help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. problem with sudo
    By waellinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
  2. Sudo under HD install
    By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
  3. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  4. screwed up sudo
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM
  5. what's the difference with sudo ???
    By ptesone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional

$285.00



Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB picture

Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB

$600.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU W/ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU W/ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard

$525.00



(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536) picture

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536)

$249.99



MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED picture

Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED

$259.00



Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K picture

Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K

$75.00