Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Boot troubles! :'-(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    Boot troubles! :'-(

    Hello! I'm here because Damn Small Linux won't boot on my machine.
    (And their forums won't sign me up)

    Here's what happens:

    (I have a 486 running Win95. Trashware indeed.)

    I can't boot from CD so I use a boot floppy.

    In DOS, even before linux loads, I get
    Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

    So I hit F1. And it continues into a nice picture of Tux.

    I'm using
    boot:dsl vga=normal
    to avoid "You passed an undefined mode number"

    Anyhow, it outputs the following:

    loading vmlinuz..................
    loading miniroot.gz..................
    Ready.
    Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel
    (pause)
    hdb:error waiting for DMA

    And it repeats the last phrase every minute or so.

    What am I doing wrong??

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    just add the cheatkode nodma andtry again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Boot troubles! :'-(

    Quote Originally Posted by ayeyen
    Hello! I'm here because Damn Small Linux won't boot on my machine.
    (And their forums won't sign me up)

    Here's what happens:

    (I have a 486 running Win95. Trashware indeed.)

    I can't boot from CD so I use a boot floppy.

    In DOS, even before linux loads, I get
    Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

    So I hit F1. And it continues into a nice picture of Tux.

    I'm using
    boot:dsl vga=normal
    to avoid "You passed an undefined mode number"

    Anyhow, it outputs the following:

    loading vmlinuz..................
    loading miniroot.gz..................
    Ready.
    Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel
    (pause)
    hdb:error waiting for DMA

    And it repeats the last phrase every minute or so.

    What am I doing wrong??

    Thanks!
    I agree with OErjan,

    try the following on your boot: prompt:
    Code:
    boot: dsl vga=normal nodma
    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Troubles
    By HappyDays in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:18 AM
  2. Help using knoppix to fix boot manager troubles
    By Pelvis Resley in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
  3. Cd rom troubles
    By DusteD in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
  4. USB troubles
    By cold in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
  5. Troubles with dual boot on 2 hds system
    By ronnie_blue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99