Now this is what I get when I try a cd:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: Too many levels of symbolic links

And this for a dvd:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: /dev/dvd is not a valid block device

I changed the icon to point to /dev/cdrom1 and it gives me a Play Files window with directories on one side and files on the other. What do I do there?

I changed the fstab:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,users,noexec 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
#/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0

and did all the symlinks:
rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 8 14:19 /dev/sr0 -> /dev/scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr1 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr2 -> scd2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr3 -> scd3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr4 -> scd4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr5 -> scd5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr6 -> scd6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr7 -> scd7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr8 -> scd8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug 6 02:05 /dev/sr9 -> scd9

The only thing funny I see is the sr0 entry. How do I change that?