As a matter of information, RRFish72, with the new Knoppix v3.4, the installer has more options, than just the "usual" Debian Style...

Beginner and Knoppix Style installs, are "basically" the same as the "Debian Style", except that they still do the "autoconfiguration" that the Live CD does, each time you boot... Whereas, the "Debian Style" install, does an "autoconfiguration" once, during the install, and then leaves everything alone after that...

The reason why it "makes a differance" which install you used, is for the exact same reason you don't have everything you had setup before your reboot, and after the reboot, everything seems to have been "re-done" again, and this now explains why when I first started to work with you on this whole thing, why everything was so "weird" compared to what I have. With the Beginner and Knoppix Style installs, you are still doing an autoconfiguration of your devices every time you reboot. Some things are "sticking" after you reboot, but, some things are not, like the etc/fstab file entries, and your symlinks for your devices.

Even with the Debian Style install, which I have, you still can have "some things" replace on a reboot, but, in my case, the fstab file and my symlinks, do not get overwritten every time I reboot...

Thats all,
Ms. Cuddles
PS -=- I knew the new installer options were gonna come-round and bite us in the rear, having more options, especially ones that are not explained what they do, or how they work, can end up to cause situations like this...