Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help me dual boot Knoppix and Fedora

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32

    Help me dual boot Knoppix and Fedora

    I would like to configure a system to dual boot between FC2 and Knoppix 3.4 (HDD install). I would like to share the /swap and /home directories. (Even though I could access the other OS from a live Knoppix CD it would be good practice for doing this with other 'nixes.)
    Now, do I need 2 separate /boot partitions or can I share that as well?
    I have already installed FC2 and done a HDD install of Knoppix 3.4.
    How can I have both of them use one boot loader? Can I use GRUB for both?
    Also, how can I have Knoppix boot to 800x600 by default?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Help me dual boot Knoppix and Fedora

    Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
    I would like to configure a system to dual boot between FC2 and Knoppix 3.4 (HDD install).
    I would like to share the /swap and /home directories. (Even though I could access the other OS from a live Knoppix CD it would be good practice for doing this with other 'nixes.)
    Now, do I need 2 separate /boot partitions or can I share that as well?
    I have already installed FC2 and done a HDD install of Knoppix 3.4.
    They should be sharing swap already, each distro will find the swap partition & use it automatically when it boots.
    Sharing /home is doable but I wouldn't actually share "/home". You have to use separate 'users' anyway (it gets very complicated if you don't, you would have to match up UID & GID numbers as well an user names in each distro plus each distro would have to be a near match in applications as there are config settings for each user in /home/user). Much easier to make a separate partition for your data and just share the data between the two distos by allowing each one access to the drive. This is most conveniently done by putting a symlink in /home/user. ie knoppix/home/user would contain a symlink pointing to /mnt/hdaX/documents, as would fedora/home/user.

    How can I have both of them use one boot loader? Can I use GRUB for both?
    Not familiar with GRUB, with Lilo I would just choose one distro as 'primiary', have it put lilo on the MBR. Edit lilo.conf to boot the other distro partition as 'other'. Then have the other distro put lilo on the partition, not on the MBR. Primiry lilo will then boot into the partition lilo to boot the other distro.
    Also, how can I have Knoppix boot to 800x600 by default?
    Add the appropriate cheatcode to the 'append=' line in lilo (or the equivalent in GRUB).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93
    Can someone explain the code to put the symlink pointing to /mnt/hdaX/documents from knoppix/home/user and fedora/home/user for us newbies?

    I was trying to share the home directories myself last weekend. This looks a lot more feasible.

    I was able to get grub working for both distros. I installed Fedora first. Then Knoppix. In Knoppix I did:

    grub-install

    then

    update grub

    Then cut and pasted the relevant bit of the fedora /boot/grub/menu.lst into the knoppix /boot/grub/menu.lst before:

    ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    or after the line:
    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    The Grub in Debian How to may help:

    http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...tid=539&page=1

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32
    Felix,
    How did you handle the /boot partition? Did you create one for each distro or did they share it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Can someone explain the code to put the symlink pointing to /mnt/hdaX/documents from knoppix/home/user and fedora/home/user for us newbies?
    You can do it in your desktop by right clicking-->create new-->file-->link to location(url).
    Select your location ex: /mnt/hdaX/documents/

    Make sure your /etc/fstab has something like this:
    /dev/hdax /mnt/hdax ext2(or ext3 or reseirfs,depends on your fedora) auto,users,exec,umask=000,quiet 0 0

    or it will not auto mount.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93
    In regards to the boot partition:

    I simply cut and pasted the relevant bits of the fedora /boot/grub/menu.lst into the debian grub exactly as shown. Up to you if you want it prior to or after the auto-magic debian.

    I actually gave up on fedora. It seems a pin after the ease of debian apt-get!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Use smart boot manager

    I've said it before but I'll say it again. I think the best way to boot between multiple linux distributions/partitions etc is to download and install smart boot manager (find with Google). It is a simple boot manager which lives entirely in your MBR (i.e. independent of any partition), is completely menu driven, allows you to change and save all boot parameters, label partition names with your distribution/version, etc. Whenever you install a distribution just install lilo/grub into the start of partition instead of the MBR. Smart boot manager will find it and be able to load it.

    Experienced software engineers that when you have an apparent obstacle/imbalance then you can often use indirection to solve the problem. That's the pattern being applied here.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    32
    Ok, I have installed grub on the Knoppix side, but I see neither a menu.lst or a grub.conf in /boot/grub. Is there a step I am missing?

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM
  2. trying to dual boot my xp and knoppix, but...
    By simmons71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
  3. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  4. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  5. Knoppix vs Fedora
    By manatarms1775 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM picture

32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM

$949.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79