-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help me dual boot Knoppix and Fedora

Originally Posted by
MaldiGola
I would like to configure a system to dual boot between FC2 and Knoppix 3.4 (HDD install).
I would like to share the /swap and /home directories. (Even though I could access the other OS from a live Knoppix CD it would be good practice for doing this with other 'nixes.)
Now, do I need 2 separate /boot partitions or can I share that as well?
I have already installed FC2 and done a HDD install of Knoppix 3.4.
They should be sharing swap already, each distro will find the swap partition & use it automatically when it boots.
Sharing /home is doable but I wouldn't actually share "/home". You have to use separate 'users' anyway (it gets very complicated if you don't, you would have to match up UID & GID numbers as well an user names in each distro plus each distro would have to be a near match in applications as there are config settings for each user in /home/user). Much easier to make a separate partition for your data and just share the data between the two distos by allowing each one access to the drive. This is most conveniently done by putting a symlink in /home/user. ie knoppix/home/user would contain a symlink pointing to /mnt/hdaX/documents, as would fedora/home/user.
How can I have both of them use one boot loader? Can I use GRUB for both?
Not familiar with GRUB, with Lilo I would just choose one distro as 'primiary', have it put lilo on the MBR. Edit lilo.conf to boot the other distro partition as 'other'. Then have the other distro put lilo on the partition, not on the MBR. Primiry lilo will then boot into the partition lilo to boot the other distro.
Also, how can I have Knoppix boot to 800x600 by default?
Add the appropriate cheatcode to the 'append=' line in lilo (or the equivalent in GRUB).
Similar Threads
-
By realpc in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM
-
By simmons71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95