I seem to have changed this setting and cannot get hda1 to open like it used to. I tried 'open with...' and tried some different things but they do not work. Help!
I seem to have changed this setting and cannot get hda1 to open like it used to. I tried 'open with...' and tried some different things but they do not work. Help!
rrfish72,Originally Posted by rrfish72
You open those "devices" with either a mount /dev/hda1 etc... command, or by clicking on the icon on the desktop for the specific device ( which will cause a "mount" to be performed, and then a Konq. window to view the files, and folders of that device. )
If you want these devices to be "automatically" mounted during a boot, then a change in your /etc/fstab file is needed for that.
To give an example, here is my fstab file:
Take a look at my /dev/hda5, my /dev/hda6, and my /dev/hda3 partitions. My root partition, /dev/hda5, is automatically mounted because it is my root, my /dev/hda3 partition is automatically mounted because it is my swap, and lastly, my /dev/hda6 is my /home partition, and if you look in the "options", or the right side of the information, you will find the word "auto" - during a boot, the OS looks through the fstab file and mounts devices/partitions that it knows it has to mount, and in addition, any devices/partitions that have this "auto" in them.Code:root@Morpheus:~# cat /etc/fstab # /etc/fstab: filesystem table. # # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 /dev/hda6 /home auto defaults,auto 0 2 /dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0 usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 vfat defaults,users,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0 /dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 ext3 defaults,users,noauto,exec 0 0 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,noatime,umask=000 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0 /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdaudio1 /cdaudio1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 root@Morpheus:~#
If you look through my fstab file, you will find every device/partition, other than the three I mentioned above, have the key word option of "noauto" in them - which tells the OS, during a boot, not to automatically mount these devices/partitions. Chances are, in the case of a floppy, or CD-ROM device, you don't want to have them automatically mounted during a boot, because, chances are, they may not have media in them. As for the two other partitions I have listed in my fstab, that are ALSO not automatically mounted, these two partitions hold my Win98 install for Wine support, and my backup Ext3 partition for my main system - in both these cases, I don't automatically need them mounted, and I mount them manually, when I do need them.
Hopefully, this has both answered your question, and given you background on your answer,
Ms. Cuddles
When I try to open with Konqueror:
There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with application/x-desktop, but it can't handle this file type.
And a blank konqueror window appears.
Still can't get to my Windows files. I could before I changed the open with... and now I don't know how to get back to default.

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99
Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08