-
Help using knoppix to fix boot manager troubles
Big problems. So I have an 80GB hd with Windows Xp installed on a 15GB partition (C: ), then i have a further 3 10GB partitions (D:, E:, F: ) and a final 15GB partion (G: ) for my various program, music, data files. I attempted to install SuSE 9.1 on the remaining 20GB.
The install seemed to go without a hitch, i let SuSE create its own partitions, hda9 being a (approx) 1GB swap file, and hda10 being (approx) 18GB, the home disk. It installed the Grub boot loader.
So installs over, it reboots, the grub boot loader should now open, all i see is "GRUB_" in the top left. It just hangs there. So now I cannot get into SuSE 9.1 or Windows XP. No boot disk for XP.
I have thrown in knoppix and taken a look around the grub data files. They are located in hda10. The device map looks like this:
(hd0) /dev/hda
(fd0) /dev/fd0
I belive that all I have to do is change it to read as follows:
(hd0) /dev/hda10
(fd0) /dev/fd0
Well I cannot seem to make this change when I am using knoppix. I do not have write permission.
How can I get write permission?
If you have any other sugestions on how I might fix this problem, please let me know. I have very little experience using linux. Thanks for your help.
Similar Threads
-
By ayeyen in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 05:58 PM
-
By proto in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:22 PM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-13-2004, 07:41 AM
-
By ronnie_blue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08