-
Junior Member
registered user
Noob requires help with file permissions after CDRom copy
I am using Knoppix 3.4 using the Knoppix toram startup switch. I do this for speed and the ability to burn CD's. (I only have 1 CD Rom drive).
I installed and configured Firefox with my preferences, bookmarks and extensions just the way I like them. I then burned to a CD the Firefox program directories and the Firefox profile directories.
After rebooting to a fresh Knoppix instance I restored the Firefox program and profile directories to their rightful locations. However file permissions prevent me from making any profile modifications as I browse. I had to reset the permissions to allow anyone and any group to read and write to these directories and the program works as expected again. Note that the owner had read/write permissions, but apparently that wasn't me anymore.
After copying the files from my custom CD it would appear that the files are for some reason read only, probably because that is their state on the CD. Is there a way to prevent me having to change file permissions after copying these file onto the ramdisk? When copying files from the CD I didn't see any options to change the way they would be written to the destination directory. My Linux ignorance abounds.
Advice is most welcome in helping me to avoid the file permission annoyance. I can get round it but I'd prefer a smarter approach.
BTW. I really like Knoppix. Especially now that I can carry around a copy of my favorite browser and extensions with it wherever I go.
JP
Similar Threads
-
By sepekte in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
-
By bigms in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
-
By chachi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
-
By hhayes in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
-
By bigbene in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99