I am using Knoppix 3.4 using the Knoppix toram startup switch. I do this for speed and the ability to burn CD's. (I only have 1 CD Rom drive).
I installed and configured Firefox with my preferences, bookmarks and extensions just the way I like them. I then burned to a CD the Firefox program directories and the Firefox profile directories.
After rebooting to a fresh Knoppix instance I restored the Firefox program and profile directories to their rightful locations. However file permissions prevent me from making any profile modifications as I browse. I had to reset the permissions to allow anyone and any group to read and write to these directories and the program works as expected again. Note that the owner had read/write permissions, but apparently that wasn't me anymore.
After copying the files from my custom CD it would appear that the files are for some reason read only, probably because that is their state on the CD. Is there a way to prevent me having to change file permissions after copying these file onto the ramdisk? When copying files from the CD I didn't see any options to change the way they would be written to the destination directory. My Linux ignorance abounds.
Advice is most welcome in helping me to avoid the file permission annoyance. I can get round it but I'd prefer a smarter approach.
BTW. I really like Knoppix. Especially now that I can carry around a copy of my favorite browser and extensions with it wherever I go.
JP

Vintage Jack Georges Leather Briefcase/Laptop Bag Made In USA
$275.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37
Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC
$89.66
Vintage Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade SP2 Service Pack 2
$40.00
VINTAGE HEWLETT PACKARD HP 110 LAPTOP WITH CARRYING CASE
$350.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974
$135.36