Big problems. So I have an 80GB hd with Windows Xp installed on a 15GB partition (C: ), then i have a further 3 10GB partitions (D:, E:, F: ) and a final 15GB partion (G: ) for my various program, music, data files. I attempted to install SuSE 9.1 on the remaining 20GB.
The install seemed to go without a hitch, i let SuSE create its own partitions, hda9 being a (approx) 1GB swap file, and hda10 being (approx) 18GB, the home disk. It installed the Grub boot loader.
So installs over, it reboots, the grub boot loader should now open, all i see is "GRUB_" in the top left. It just hangs there. So now I cannot get into SuSE 9.1 or Windows XP. No boot disk for XP.
I have thrown in knoppix and taken a look around the grub data files. They are located in hda10. The device map looks like this:
(hd0) /dev/hda
(fd0) /dev/fd0
I belive that all I have to do is change it to read as follows:
(hd0) /dev/hda10
(fd0) /dev/fd0
Well I cannot seem to make this change when I am using knoppix. I do not have write permission.
How can I get write permission?
If you have any other sugestions on how I might fix this problem, please let me know. I have very little experience using linux. Thanks for your help.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$178.99
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install
$174.99
$170.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99