-
Senior Member
registered user
Remastering - The easy way
Hi guys,
greetings from UKUUG, which did end yesterday.
I have been quite busy and you can see the result here:
http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2004/knoppix.shtml
Update:
To use this script do:
(For /mnt/hda7/remaster you can provide any path, where your remaster lies or should lie; you can even leave it blank and select the path with the file-selector)
The program then guides you through the process of remastering:
First it checks the available memory size and if there is not enough, it'll ask if you want to create a swapfile or exit.
Next it'll ask if you want to do a new remaster or choose an old one.
If you do a new remaster, all files are copied with a nice progress bar.
(You always can later find the ISO in $REMASTER_CHOOSE_DIR/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM.iso.)
Then you are in the main menu:
- Choose chroot to work in the your remaster as normal.
- Choose Create Compressed FS do make te Compressed Filesystem (you do not need to bother about manual cleanup, Klaus' scripts do that and much more automatically)
- Choose Create ISO
Finished.
You can also find a menu item to edit options, quit the program or load a sort file.
A sample sort file is provided in $REMASTER_CHOICE/KNOPPIX.build/mkisofs.sort.sample.
All Questions answered, aay?
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user
Fabian,
You are the man! I truly thank you for being one of Knoppix's best contributors. I also extend thanks to Ian Naylor for his remastering scripts. I look forward to trying this stuff out. Of course you know there may be one negative result from all this: expect a lot more Knoppix spin offs to be hitting ftp mirrors in the future 
Adam
-
Senior Member
registered user
BTW, is there any documentation on this script? I guess I should just download it and have a look at it. I'd love to hear more about what is planed for this.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
BTW, is there any documentation on this script? I guess I should just download it and have a look at it. I'd love to hear more about what is planed for this.
I've answered your question above.
cu
Fabian
-
Junior Member
registered user
knoppix-3.2
will this remaster script work with knoppix 3.2, 3.1 with the knoppix kernel-2.4.22-xfs?
thanks for your reply.
ps:if not what can i do to make it work with knoppix-3.2 with kernel-2.4-22-xfs?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: knoppix-3.2

Originally Posted by
Vick
will this remaster script work with knoppix 3.2, 3.1 with the knoppix kernel-2.4.22-xfs?
thanks for your reply.
ps:if not what can i do to make it work with knoppix-3.2 with kernel-2.4-22-xfs?
It will not out of the box.
You would need to replace the mkisofs Code with the old code from Knoppix.mkcompressed.
Why do you need it to work with so old versions?
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Fabianx

Originally Posted by
aay
BTW, is there any documentation on this script? I guess I should just download it and have a look at it. I'd love to hear more about what is planed for this.
I've answered your question above.
cu
Fabian
Thanks. I look forward to playing with it. When I am able.
Adam
-
Junior Member
registered user
knoppix 3.2 kernel-2.4.22-xfs
hi!
thanks for you fast reply,
knoppix 3.2 kernel-2.4.22-xfs is what i'm using its realy stable like rock. And me and my wife aer adicted to it, it works at home and at work with or pcs, that why!
can you help?
thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: knoppix 3.2 kernel-2.4.22-xfs

Originally Posted by
Vick
hi!
thanks for you fast reply,
knoppix 3.2 kernel-2.4.22-xfs is what i'm using its realy stable like rock. And me and my wife aer adicted to it, it works at home and at work with or pcs, that why!
can you help?
thanks
Yes, but I have to find that old scripts first.
cu
Fabian
PS: I'll do it as soon as I'm home, as I'm currently still in the UK, London.
-
Been waiting for this 14 months
As Fabian asked Vick, why so old versions? Well, I'm amazed for what the progress of Knoppix has been, but I primarily use a Toshiba laptop, which as many postings in this site confirm, many of them stopped working with Knoppix after 2003-06-06. That was the last fine working version for my machine. In all that have followed, the hard disk cannot be mounted, even if fdisk reports the partitions without problem. The computer works ok with Debian and Mandrake, but THEY ARE NOT KNOPPIX
. So, when I want to have fun with newer Knoppixes I sadly have to use another machine.
So I am also waiting eagerly for you to return home and hand us those "old" scripts for those such "old" Knoppixes.
BTW: wouldn't you have an idea what this problem of mounting the hard disk might be? What changed so deeply between 2003-06-06 and the following versions? Kudzu HW detection?
I have resorted to customizing my 06-06 with whatever I like of what is added to newer Knoppix, but I feel I might be missing some (or much) of the fun in newer versions!
Thx.
Similar Threads
-
By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
-
By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe
$284.99