Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Remastering - The easy way

  1. #51
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Tried the script to remaster .Encountered errors are:

    1.Could not chroot. Error is "mount: fs type sysfs not supported by kernel ".I saw this error in one post here but did not find any solution posted. I use the partition for "hard" way of remaster(ext3) so why will it not work here?

    2. No compressed file generated. Several "read-only" errors generated.

    In other words it is definitely NOT the easy way to remaster. I have done the "hard" way of remastering in almost all versions,even other knoppix based distros so I am not new to this.

    Anyway,needs alot of work yet.

    Just my opinion.

  2. #52
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    I wish to remaster a DVD knoppix to reduce the size, which is 2.181MB compressed.

    How much space is necessary in my ram and swap to enable the use of your program?

    This assumes it will work with a remastered DVD.

  3. #53
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tempe AZ
    Posts
    31

    Re: Directly save configs to cd (additional session)

    Quote Originally Posted by veuf
    Why not extend the save-knoppix scripts to save to the cd on an new session on the knoppix-CD.

    So even newbies could then habe a customized knoppix-cd without having to know anything.
    For newbies to be able customize Knoppix without having to know anything would be the best of all possible worlds, but for "script kiddies." If they were easy to do, live OSs with hidden "features" would proliferate all over the place and destroy Mr. Knopper's wonderful creation.

  4. #54
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    Tried the script to remaster .Encountered errors are:

    1.Could not chroot. Error is "mount: fs type sysfs not supported by kernel ".I saw this error in one post here but did not find any solution posted. I use the partition for "hard" way of remaster(ext3) so why will it not work here?

    2. No compressed file generated. Several "read-only" errors generated.
    Got the same error as well. Frustrating.

  5. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    Well. I have tried the Klaus scripts with 3.6 and they seem to work, but my new kernel (2.7.6 or 2.6.8.1) won't boot ("Can't find Knoppix filesystem").

    The recipe that I have followed is:

    - take a vanilla kernel and configure the compilation with the config-2.6.7 settings as a starting point.

    - add various wireless networking patches, including adding Intel ipw2200 drivers

    - try to compile up latest cloop from developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix. They won't compile directly: one of the structures has changed; they won't compile using the debian make-kpkg modules-image (no target cloop.o). So can't produce a new compression tool either, but must use the one that comes with Klaus' scripts.

    - so try to patch the block device driver in the kernel tree directly (there are a couple of patch links for 2.6.7 and 2.6.8.1 in these forums). Set cloop either as a module or build it into the kernel.

    - build the new kernel (make-kpkg kernel_image) and install it (dpkg -i).

    - copy the new kernel into the KNOPPUX-CUSTOM boot directory, replacing the existing linux26 or adding a new linux268 entry

    - amend minirt26.gz to include the new module/cloop.o (where that was compiled as a module) or just leave alone, where the cloop is built in. (should I be using the .ko version renamed??)

    - On booting the new kernel, the disk at hda and the cd-rom at hdc are detected, but get "Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry". Trying to boot into 2.4 works OK, however.


    Help / suggestions, please.[/img]

  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1

    remastering from a hd-installed.. this way works for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    ...Yes, you need to run it directly from the CD, as for creating the chroot it wants to access /KNOPPIX/, once created you should be able to run the script also from Harddisk.
    ...
    Fabian

    Hello all there!

    I had the idea to try this knoppix-remaster under a running HD-version of Knoppix - well, I am kinda lazy. I did not want to play with so many cd-s, and I had 5G of free space, wanted to solve this KNOPPIX file thing.

    So I did the following (in the HD-started system):

    Code:
    mkdir /KNOPPIX
    mount /cdrom  ## with the Knoppix-cd
    modprobe cloop file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX
    (the modprobe stuff is from the beginning of the big KNOPPIX file) And there you go! you have the /KNOPPIX filesystem for the knoppix-remaster script.

    after done with the copying, you can free the drive like:

    Code:
    umount /KNOPPIX
    rmmod cloop
    umount /cdrom

    This way you can start the remastering from your already installed system. Hmm. I hope I did not forget anything :P

    I just started to play with the new 3.7 Knoppix, after downloading, entering the command:
    Code:
    mount ./knoppix_3.7_PC-Welt.iso /cdrom/ -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop1
    This way I did not even needed to write out the 3.7 iso to a disk :P

    Hope someone finds it useful!

    Bests!

  7. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: Been waiting for this 14 months

    I've seen this on one of my older machines. It hangs at ... /etc/fstab while booting.

    Problem appears to be that the system enables DMA accelleration for the hard-disks by default, which my disks support but my motherboard doesn't.

    Booting with "knoppix nodma" works for me though.

    Greg.

    Quote Originally Posted by ottod
    As Fabian asked Vick, why so old versions? Well, I'm amazed for what the progress of Knoppix has been, but I primarily use a Toshiba laptop, which as many postings in this site confirm, many of them stopped working with Knoppix after 2003-06-06. That was the last fine working version for my machine. In all that have followed, the hard disk cannot be mounted, even if fdisk reports the partitions without problem. The computer works ok with Debian and Mandrake, but THEY ARE NOT KNOPPIX . So, when I want to have fun with newer Knoppixes I sadly have to use another machine.
    So I am also waiting eagerly for you to return home and hand us those "old" scripts for those such "old" Knoppixes.
    BTW: wouldn't you have an idea what this problem of mounting the hard disk might be? What changed so deeply between 2003-06-06 and the following versions? Kudzu HW detection?
    I have resorted to customizing my 06-06 with whatever I like of what is added to newer Knoppix, but I feel I might be missing some (or much) of the fun in newer versions!
    Thx.

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    hey! i got an really stupid idea!

    Well, this will sound like an cat barking but... i really have to ask the comunitty to try...
    I read much about remastering the knoppix and other things.. I tried to make a small customizing in my knoppix.... but it failed.. very much :shock: !
    No i could suggest to you.... :idea: Why dont u make an Windows( :oops: ) very small software that is capable to choose:
    > Distros inside debian.... :!:
    > Be bootable or not, like knoppix is!!!
    > The packages avaliabes in stable, testing and even in unstable!!!
    > Make the package depedencies files automatically
    > the conf files setup based on the hardware u have!!!!
    > Make the iso files to you!

    This might sound really stupid, but i have a very limitted experience in linux, i am used to windows :oops: ....
    It would be very useful to change the windows by the freedom that linux based system offers to me.... It would be much easier (wrong spell?) to convince the MS user to migrate to linux.....
    I really hope u could do this....
    By now, i will just thanks the time all will lose reading this....

  9. #59
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    Thanks for the great script Fabian! The only issue I've noted is after cleaning up and making cloop image and iso, if I chroot back in to apt-get something I cannot. How can I resolve this?

    Thanks,
    cesman

  10. #60
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by cesman
    Thanks for the great script Fabian! The only issue I've noted is after cleaning up and making cloop image and iso, if I chroot back in to apt-get something I cannot. How can I resolve this?

    Thanks,
    cesman
    Just do a apt-get update again, then apt-get install works again.

    (The cleanup does remove the apt-get files to save space)

    cu

    Fabian

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wow! That was EASY!!!
    By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
  2. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  3. HDD install EASY AS
    By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
  4. Remastering Scripts : easy remastering
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
  5. how easy is it to do?
    By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Leading Edge DC-3014 Blue Alps SKCM Keyboard Rare Vintage picture

Leading Edge DC-3014 Blue Alps SKCM Keyboard Rare Vintage

$350.00



Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264 picture

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264

$100.00



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



Vintage Brother DP-525CJ Word Processor Typewriter PARTS/REPAIR  PLEASE SEE VIDE picture

Vintage Brother DP-525CJ Word Processor Typewriter PARTS/REPAIR PLEASE SEE VIDE

$265.00



Rare Vintage Nec Mobile Gear II MC R430 Computer Japanese Windows Ce  picture

Rare Vintage Nec Mobile Gear II MC R430 Computer Japanese Windows Ce

$299.99



Vintage Mixed Lot Computer & Electronics Manuals & Guides - Manuals & Guides Lot picture

Vintage Mixed Lot Computer & Electronics Manuals & Guides - Manuals & Guides Lot

$75.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Vintage Belkin Ergonomic Keyboard F8E208-BLK Split-Key PS/2 Wired Black picture

Vintage Belkin Ergonomic Keyboard F8E208-BLK Split-Key PS/2 Wired Black

$39.99