-
Junior Member
registered user
A few misc question on Remastering using your script GUI
First off thanks for the great remastering tool! I am new to the remastering process so the tool is a great aid towards my remaster attempts. I have successfully produced a remaster where all I did was add a couple of additional cheat codes to the remaster; however, the remaster is to large to fit on a 700MB CD-R, had to burn the ISO file to a DVD-RW to test. Here are my questions for you remaster masters.
I think I performed all the required steps using the GUI including selecting cleanup before building the compressed file system. Why is my remaster to large? I have a Gig of memory and would like to run from RAM like the toram cheat code allows; however, I would like to load the compressed file system from a hard drive partition that contains a compressed boot image from a previous tohd boot. IE.. toram from HD instead of toram from CD. Is this possible? Also, since the file system is mounted read-only when the fromhd cheat code is selected, would it be possible to copy the compressed file system on the boot CD to an NTFS partiion using XP and then select the fromhd cheat code and select the NTFS partiion?
Thanks again for the great tool and any answers to the questions above!
Ron
-
First of all let me just issue the standard warning - bit of a newbie. Well, with regards to remastering anyway. After reading this and googling around for a lot of information I had a read through the knoppix remastering howto and thankfully a lot of it makes sense - in a very lengthy round about sort of way. What your script promises seems awesome and I am keen to give it a try (unfortunately I only have my girlfriends xp laptop all week coming instead of my BeatrIX pc... oh well).
What I would like to know is information regarding the use of this script and using a different distrobution for the source of the remaster. I for example would like to do a remaster of Luit Linux. How would the method change if I wished to do this? Or is it simply not possible without a total change of the script you've produced?
I hope you're able to answer as i'd like to get some background info before I delve too deeply into this.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: remastering from a hd-installed.. this way works for me!

Originally Posted by
szy

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
...Yes, you need to run it directly from the CD, as for creating the chroot it wants to access /KNOPPIX/, once created you should be able to run the script also from Harddisk.
...
Fabian
Code:
mkdir /KNOPPIX
mount /cdrom ## with the Knoppix-cd
modprobe cloop file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX
after done with the copying, you can free the drive like:
Code:
umount /KNOPPIX
rmmod cloop
umount /cdrom
This way you can start the remastering from your already installed system. Hmm. I hope I did not forget anything :P
OOO, I think I like the way you think, szy, lazy or no. Do you mean to say that you can customize a hd-installed system the way you want and then make an ISO of that? This would be great!
TIA,
AJG
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
That looks interesting. Can you explain what advantages this system has? Why are you doing this?
-
Junior Member
registered user
That site is dead. Is there any other resource for that file, or can it be posted here, perhaps? 
WWW
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have visited debian.tu-bs.de and there is no knoppix directory. Where can I find this script?
Thanks
Frank
-
Senior Member
registered user
Remaster Script Error 404
Does the remsaster script still exist?
orac:/home/anc # wget http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/remas...r-0.1-4.tar.gz
--15:59:00-- http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/remas...r-0.1-4.tar.gz
=> `remaster-0.1-4.tar.gz'
Resolving debian.tu-bs.de... 134.169.172.5
Connecting to debian.tu-bs.de|134.169.172.5|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
15:59:01 ERROR 404: Not Found.
I'm receiving a 404 error. Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Remaster Script Error 404

Originally Posted by
hal8000
Not in that location. I have repacked version of remaster script which works with new programs but only in .deb package:
http://linux.ilmainen.net/suomiknopp...0.1-6_i386.deb
-tapsa-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi, thanks for your reply, Ive just completed things the harder way, using the remaster wiki.
Came across a few problems and fell at the final hurdle in creating the iso image. Howver
I discovered that mkisofs is now a symlink to genisofs and its either a typo or a package fault
but the final command:
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master
Results with an error "unknown option1" . The man page of genisofs clearly
states this is an option, so I omitted the -1 and my iso was created.
I will download these scripts as my first iso although working is not perfect.
Similar Threads
-
By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
-
By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2.0 LBS Vintage Scrap Memory RAM FOR Gold Recovery PC & SERVER RAM UNSHIELDED
$110.00

Vintage Apple Keyboard (MO110)
$61.30

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...
$149.99

Rare Vintage Southland Hyundai 256MB Proprietary RAM Memory Expansion Module
$75.00

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro
$59.00

Vintage Toshiba T3600CT Mini Laptop 486DX2-50, 8MB **NO POST, AS-IS
$100.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse
$350.00