-

Originally Posted by
redss
Here is the source of confusion with tohd:
The 4th line in Fabians directions say "sudo ./knoppix-remaster /mnt/hda7/remaster"
But if you want to boot into it with "tohd=" cheatcode, I believe you'd need to remaster into the root directory of the partition (/mnt/hda7) rather than a subdirectory called "remaster".
My guess is that if you create the remaster in the root directory of a partition then you'd need to create the iso in a DIFFERENT partition, so having a separate partition just for the iso would be advised.
BTW I haven't tried the knoppix on compact flash yet, but per the article above, at least one person got it working. If anyone else has tried this please let me know how it went!
My comments with regard to fromhd= were only for the purpose freeing up the CDROM drive for burning. It appears you are attempting to use fromhd= to test your remaster and it's a good point/target. I may be required that you copy your KNOPPIX directory to the root of SOME partition so fromhd= will work. The compressed filesystem obviously must have been generated too.
Hey, maybe hard linking /KNOPPIX on the same partition to /remaster/Knoppix.build/KNOPPIX.Master/KNOPPIX will work also.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I was able to boot into the compressed filesystem I created by creating a directory called KNOPPIX in /mnt/hda2, and I cd'd to that directory and created a symbolic link this way:
Code:
ln -s ../remaster/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX KNOPPIX
This works but it only allowed me to boot into my remaster in readonly mode. Only useful for testing, before creating and burning the iso, since no further customizations can be done at that point.
Is there a way to boot into the remaster in readwrite mode running kde? (in other words is it possible to boot into the remaster before creating the compressed fs?)
-
Senior Member
registered user
After we add/remove programs, then can the sample sort file still be used?
Since I don't know how to create a sort file, would one be needed? As there is no documentation on the sort file, its confusing...
-
Junior Member
registered user
How customizing KDE-Settings???
I've already remastered a Knoppix-CD the "hard" way.
The hardest part was to get my customized KDE-Settings like icon-sets, background-images, and all the things you can set to change the look&feel of KDE.
There are many places where these settings are stored ...
Is there an EASY way to give a customized look&feel to KDE and being sure, that after a hdinstall it dosn't get lost?
Thanks for any tips...
Veuf
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just curious, why worry about customizing KDE for the remaster?
I skipped KDE customization during the remaster, since I was able to customize it later and save the settings into knoppix.sh/configs.tbz.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Directly save configs to cd (additional session)
Why not extend the save-knoppix scripts to save to the cd on an new session on the knoppix-CD.
So even newbies could then habe a customized knoppix-cd without having to know anything.
-
I've tried all versions of the remastering script (0.1-4, 0.1-5, 0.1-6). In all of them, the scripts crashes when attempting to create the swapfile.
My hard drive is one empty 20GB partition.
The error message I get is:
Fatal error: Could not create swapfile. Exiting....
I am trying to make the swapfile 1048MB in size. (I have tried other sizes, too--800MB, 500MB, etc.) The script actually does create a swapfile of only 1.1+ MB in size.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?
System Specifications:
- MSI Via KM266 motherboard
- Onboard Video
- Maxtor 20GB HDD
- 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
- Knoppix 3.6 CD
I really need to get this project going and have had little luck in the past with the manual remastering instructions.
Thanks,
Dwight Porter
-
gzip level 9
So is there a way to make this 714Mb iso be 700Mb?
I can strip some software of course, but i'd like to use same compression as original iso does.
-
Swap
ProDJ Tech
Why don't you just create swap partition with mkswap (or with qtparted)?
-
Re: Swap

Originally Posted by
kempston
ProDJ Tech
Why don't you just create swap partition with mkswap (or with qtparted)?
I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if the script would recognize/ acknowledge the existence of the swapfile. I know the script checks your memory first. If it's under 1GB, then it asks you to create a swapfile. If you answer "no" to creating a swapfile, the script exits.
I may try it just for grins.
Similar Threads
-
By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
-
By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.66