-

Originally Posted by
redss
The prerequisites are not clear as to whats needed to run the script. As in min size hard disk space, ram, and swap size. I have a 6 gig drive to work with..
Do I understand correctly that all I need is my HD to be partitioned with maybe 800 Mb swap (I have 300 Mb RAM) and the rest (5.2 Gb) empty, and I can boot off the CD and run the script? And then once I chroot, I will be able to apt-get to remove and install packages, and use dpkg to install .DEB packages etc?
first, it seems to want a total of 1GB of working memory( RAM + SWAP ). I have 512MB of RAM and created a 500MB swap file to handle this requirement.
second, the 700MB KNOPPIX CD is compressed and the script uncompresses/installs this to the HD. This decompresses to almost 2GB. Add to that the fact that you'll need space for the NEW rebuilt/compressed image AND that you'll probably want to run KNOPPIX "fromhd" and it would be best to have around 5GB of harddisk space.
third, the script has an update option for apt-getting to update the build but also has the chroot option which you should be able to manually "tune" the build image too( I've not tried this yet ).
My brief experience with this script is that it does work( builds a working KNOPPIX ISO ) but as I mentioned earlier, the new build is larger than the original for some reason. The author mentioned that you have to boot from the CD to run the script and since that would prevent you from also using the CD drive for burning the image, using the "tohd" and then "fromhd" cheat-code makes this all work pretty nicely. YMMV.
Similar Threads
-
By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
-
By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99