Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Changing res for a user. Possible?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111

    Changing res for a user. Possible?

    Trying to find out how to change the resolultion for a given user - not for the whole
    system.

    I run an app designed for 800x600 for a given user account and would like
    that the system changed to that res, but only for this account/user.

    Is that possible?

    Update: Added the user to sudoers and tried to alter the res using
    kxconfig but that change the whole system...

    How does one controls settings for a given user?

    I thought I could do it as root but apprently Im too stupid to understand
    how. I looked in the docs but nothing about "Having users" and how to control it.
    Maybe I just search for the worng words.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    As far as I know, it's not possible to change the resolution for only one user.

    The resolution is set up in /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 and is commun to all the users (for what I know of it)..

    EDIT : if never you find a way, I would be really interested !

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Well that is also what I found since the XFConfig-4 is global and changing it affected all users.
    But, I had to ask as Linux keeps surpricing me as it can boot in so many ways and there
    are so many things you can fiddle with so I looked in the documentation for X11 but
    could not find any inforation of how to redirect it to another conf file.

    Perhaps it is possible with some clever fiddling but Ill tell you if I find the way.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    This is perfectly possible using XFCE4 as it has a fantastic tool for changing resolution. It does not rewrite XF86Config-4 but rather lets you choose between the available resolutions already listed in XF86Config-4. Of course you probably didn't want to install a different desktop just to get different resolutions now did you? I must say that it suprises me that KDE is not capable of this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Ohh!
    mzilikazi
    Could you provide a bit more information?
    My knoppix doesnt have anything called XFCE4 but this can change res on the fly or how
    will that solve my problem?

    " install a different desktop just to get different resolutions now did you"

    Im not sure what you mean. Another windows manager ?

    I just want that my user "A" always runs in 800x600 but root has
    1024x768.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    This is perfectly possible using XFCE4 as it has a fantastic tool for changing resolution. It does not rewrite XF86Config-4 but rather lets you choose between the available resolutions already listed in XF86Config-4. Of course you probably didn't want to install a different desktop just to get different resolutions now did you? I must say that it suprises me that KDE is not capable of this.

    xczxcxzcczxzcx

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by metavoid

    " install a different desktop just to get different resolutions now did you"

    Im not sure what you mean. Another windows manager ?
    That's exactly what I mean. http://xfce.org/

    I just want that my user "A" always runs in 800x600 but root has
    1024x768.

    Thanks.
    You should never login as root. It simply isn't necessary and it is very insecure as well as potentially harmful to your system. For anythihg that needs to be done as root use su while logged in as user. On all of my systems root is not even allowed to log into the desktop.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    >>That's exactly what I mean. http://xfce.org/

    Ah. Well. That wont help. Using an .Xseeeion file, I run the program directly
    without loading a manager first. So another winman will not help. I guess.

    >You should never login as root. It simply isn't necessary and it is very insecure as well as >potentially harmful to your system. For anythihg that needs to be done as root use su while >logged in as user. On all of my systems root is not even allowed to log into the desktop.

    I heard that before but never had any problems with being root all the time.
    Well if you mean typing su in a shell, forget it. To annoying as I actually use the
    menus and often the displayed name is not the one used in the shell. Say I
    want to activate "Control Panel" I have no idea what the actually file is named
    and suddenly Im wasting time fiddling around in the shell to run something with root
    priv. It simply annoys me.

    Anyway

    Thanks for your help. Guess that its not possible to have diff. res for each user if the mentioned winman is not used.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    I am confused.. I use Kanotix which is closely related to Knoppix and root runs at 1024x768 and user is 800x600 definitely. I never bothered changing root since I log into it so rarely. I run KDE 3.2. How is Kanotix doing this where it isn't possible with knoppix? Mzi I believe you run kanotix, too - how does it do it?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    I am confused.. I use Kanotix which is closely related to Knoppix and root runs at 1024x768 and user is 800x600 definitely. I never bothered changing root since I log into it so rarely. I run KDE 3.2. How is Kanotix doing this where it isn't possible with knoppix? Mzi I believe you run kanotix, too - how does it do it?
    I do use Kanotix but not KDE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. changing user knoppix
    By saurav in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:55 AM
  2. Changing user on Live CD
    By sbkryan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:20 PM
  3. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. problem changing user
    By laba in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 10:14 AM
  5. changing default user profile
    By bigdaddy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 01:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$18.99



Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter  A1344 ~ FREE S/H picture

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H

$12.99



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59



Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power picture

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power

$109.99