Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Newbie question?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Newbie question?

    I've got a Compaq Presario 1515EA and if i use the Knoppix LiveCd all is ok,does this mean that if i install it onto the HD all will be ok the same?This is the use of a liveCD,isn't it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    The only way to know, in my experience, is to go ahead and try it. I've very seldom had a problem getting the liveCD working on just about any PC I want. Once I figure out how to get the liveCD to boot the way I want (ie: cheatcodes, etc) then installing to the hdd is usually a breeze!

    When installing to the hdd, I usually run qtparted to perform a nondestructive repartition first. I usually resize the original partition (hda1) to half its size (as long as the current contents will fit in the new size). Then I create hda2 and format it as a linux swap partition usually double the size of the RAM I have. With the remaining space I create hda3 and format as a linux ext3 partition.

    Having done all that, running knoppix-installer usually goes very smoothly!

    BTW, they say always to backup the contents of hda1 before repartitioning and you probably should if you're not familiar with partitioning in general or qtparted inparticular. But, to be honest, I never make backups prior to repartitioning since using qtparted instead of cfdisk (which performs a destructive repartition).

    Also, if you have a fast PC, say a PIV with over 256MB RAM, I don't think a swap partition is going to make much difference, so you might skip that step!

    Good Luck!

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question
    By mute1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
  2. Probably a very newbie question..
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
  3. 100% newbie question
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM
  4. newbie question
    By mover50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99