Some (lesser quality) cd drives just don't work well with knoppix, most notably, Aopen drives. You may want to try swaping your cd drive with a different one to see if it's the drives fault, then post your results.
What brand of drive is it?
When booting from floppy, my computer (200Mhz, old thing), cannot find the filesystem on the CD-ROM let alone find what the CD-ROM is. I have no previous experience working with this computer. Is it safe to say this CD-Drive is broken? I can put in a CD and Eject them.... knoppix has been great for other computers with hardware detection...
Any thoughts? Thanks.![]()
Some (lesser quality) cd drives just don't work well with knoppix, most notably, Aopen drives. You may want to try swaping your cd drive with a different one to see if it's the drives fault, then post your results.
What brand of drive is it?
I have the same problem, about the "missing filesystem." I bought a newer laptop, a nice Sharp UM30W, but the CD drive is a slow external drive. Do you think that if I found a newer CD drive it would work? Or would using USB 2.0 instead of the internal 1.0 fix it? I'd like to find a solution to this, and I'm hoping it's not just that my laptop is too new... I love the laptop but life with no Knoppix doesn't seem quite worth it now...![]()
This worked for me...
at Boot type: Knoppix nodma
Hope that helps,
Ross
I tried swapping out the CD-DRIVE with another one and it was able to detect it and install. So far so good. Now I just need to find an small IDE hard drive for another older computer that I'm trying to get to work.![]()
Excellent advice!!
Originally Posted by rossman2076

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99
Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99