-
Knoppix (3.4) won't boot - stuck at "Penguin" scre
I'm having trouble booting into Knoppix from my cdrom drive.
I set my cdrom as the first bootable device. I restart with the cd in the drive. I get to the main Knoppix screen (with the logo and message telling me to hit enter to boot, etc..). I hit enter.
The next screen I see has the linux penguin in the top left hand corner. (i've seen this screen before. This is where it detects my hardware, etc..).
Except, the screen stays completely blank (except for the penguin). Nothing happens. My cdrom stops spinning. Its just stick there with a little blinking cursor.
I have 2 cdrom drives. In the bios, i have tried to boot first from each one (still no luck).
I have even disabled my harddrives so that the *only* thing that boots is my cdrom drive.
Same thing. Keeps getting stuck at the penguin.
My hardware configuration:
Asus A7V8X-X motherboard
Athlon XP 2600+
1GB Crucial RAM
ATI 9200 Vid Card
Promise HDD Controller (i'm not using RAID. I'm just utilizing the "extra" 2 IDE ports).
The way my drives are setup:
*Main HDD IDE Port on Motherboard*
HDD 1 (system)
HDD 2 (data)
*Main CD IDE Port on Motherboard*
CDR/DVD
DVDR
*Promise HDD Contronller - Card is in a PCI Slot*
HDD 3 (data)
HDD 4 (data)
When my computer boots, it recognizes my 4 drives in this order:
Primary Master - HDD 1 (system)
Primary Slave - HDD 2 (data)
Secondary Master - CDR/DVD
Secondary Slave - DVDR
It then goes to my HDD Controller and detects my 2 additional drives.
At this point, it either boots to windows, or to the Knoppix CD (which is what it is currently set to do).
Knoppix logo screen...
penguin....
thats it. Stuck at the penguin.
I am using the latest version of Knoppix "KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso" (i have verified the MD5 hash and it checks out).
I've also used the previous release: "KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN.iso". Still doesn't boot.
Has anyone come across this?
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By onnrmf in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
-
By soofsoof in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By ruymbeke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-30-2004, 06:52 AM
-
By pau1knopp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95