Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix boot problem, need some help, warning I am a newb.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix boot problem, need some help, warning I am a newb.

    Its actually not the offical knoppix CD, it is a slightly moddified version forun in the moving to linux, kiss the BSoD goodbye book. I had managed to get it to load a couple times, but have been doing some work on my system. I just installed a new MB, CPU and memory, and thus did a reinstall of XP. Now knoppix is very slow to load and doesn't even seem to finish booting.

    I get the splash screen with the boot prompt, and can continue past that, then I get the screen with the penguin at the top left. I also get an error stating only one CPU found(my new board is a dual opteron board, with currently only one CPU)but I have gotten this and gone past it before). Then if I wait for quite a while I get some stuff saying something like "ide:scsi unsupported hard drisk request in the queue (0)" several times with a couple "IDE disk read failed"s mixed in.

    If I wait quite a while longer it continues on to the colored text boot portion which it goes through till it gives me this
    "Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab....

    I am not sure how long this should take, but I have left it there for like 5-10 minutes and it doesn't seem to finish.

    Any help?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    I had quite the same error using a CDRW on some old pcs.

    Apparently the CD ROM drive wasn't able to read properly my CDRW. Using a CDR it was working perfectly.

    I hope it helps !

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Try using cheatcodes to boot. 'knoppix noapm', 'knoppix noapic', 'knoppix failsave'. See the cheatcodes list.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the info, here is a bit of an update. I have recently found out that it does actually boot, it just takes about an hour and a half to fully boot, and even them my mouse wasn't working, but that could have been something wrong on my end.

    Also not sure if it relates in anyway, but after it did boot, i restarted to see if it would boot quicker the next time, it did not, so i restarted without the CD to get back into windows, and I got a "missing NTLDR press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart". I just did a repair install to fix the problem, but am kinda wondering if it will happen again if I try to boot it again.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot issues. Newb wants help.
    By _Azrael_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 02:38 PM
  2. newb needs boot help
    By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
  3. Total newb install problem
    By TotalLinuxNewb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 07:36 AM
  4. Any Warning Before I Try MakinCustom Knoppix/RedHat Based CD
    By ryanjulian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 08:06 AM
  5. SECURITY WARNING ! sshd vulnerable in knoppix 3.2
    By jonatan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Cisco IP Phone 7940 Series VoIP Office Phone with Plantronics HL10 phone lifter picture

Cisco IP Phone 7940 Series VoIP Office Phone with Plantronics HL10 phone lifter

$25.00



Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service VoIP - Black picture

Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service VoIP - Black

$23.98



New in Box:Polycom VVX 150 VoIP Desk Phone PoE Black picture

New in Box:Polycom VVX 150 VoIP Desk Phone PoE Black

$55.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07