Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Lexar media USB multi-card reader

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Lexar media USB multi-card reader

    I hae a multi card reader from lexar media. In windows it is recognized as 4 removable drives. what I want is a way to use it in linux where cards are auto mounted as soon as I put one in the reader and auto unmounted when I pull one out. I'm sure this is possible and probably even easy, I just don't know how. Even if I just had a link that mounted, that would be fine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Just what I needed, thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I could actualy use just a litle more help. I want the card readers to act the same as a floppy drive so I put the same lines in fstab that were already there for the floppy at the bottum again for my card readers and replaced every reference to the floppy with sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4. (It's a 4 card reader) and i was unable to access the cards.

    So, what exactly should I put in the fstab to get them to behave like floppies?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    replaced every reference to the floppy with sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4. (It's a 4 card reader) and i was unable to access the cards.

    So, what exactly should I put in the fstab to get them to behave like floppies?
    The way you have them listed it is as if they are the same drive. You want them as differnet drives so...

    sda, sdb, sdc, etc. sda1 is the first partition on the first scsi disk (I know they aren't scsi but they are under scsi emulation.)

    Post the output of;

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi

    Post your fstab as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    The pertinent lines of my fstab are now

    /dev/sdb /mnt/reader2 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/sdc /mnt/reader3 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/sdd /mnt/reader4 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0


    Still does not work. I will post the other results you asked for later. It's hard to go back and forth because I am on dial-up internet service so I have to dual boot with windows untill I can get a real modem.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Here's the cat output

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: LG Model: CD-ROM CRD-8483B Rev: 1.02
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: PHILIPS Model: PCRW804 Rev: 2,1
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: Lexar Model: USB Storage-SMC Rev: 0180
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02


    This is a litle worrysome, it does show one reader, but it's the SMC reader which is the only one I couldn't care less about. The CFII, SD/MMC and MS are the ones I need.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Interesting.....post this:

    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I have recently learned something, Knoppix doesn't have CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN set so it won't read multi card readers. It looks like you'd have to build a custom kernel for it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Actualy...

    I booted uing the knoppix CD instead of my har drive install, with with the card reaer in place and cards in it, and you know what? There was a HDD link on the dsktop for each card and I could access my files both ways. So it is possible.

    I tried, like a big idiot, to save the fstab from when I booted useing the CD, and just write over the fstab in the HD install and of course now linux won't boot, so I'm back to windows for the evening. I plan on re-installing tonight. Then I will copy just the lines I need into the fstab.

    But in any case it IS possible because booting from CD does it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Multi card reader
    By richb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM
  2. Winbond SD Card Reader won't work?
    By furryfren in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
  3. Mount USB 6-in-1 Multi-Flash card reader without recompile
    By spurious in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
  4. CF Card Reader Problem, 802.11b WEP keys, etc
    By DukeLeto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 07:00 PM
  5. usb keyboard sandisk usb cf card reader
    By anushatech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+ picture

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+

$13.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99