Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Users can't access secondary hd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Users can't access secondary hd


    I recently switched to Knoppix and finally installed it after formatting my boot drive, and have configured it for multiple users (5 users [family], and root). I also have a secondary drive that has music and other such files. The boot drive is 10gb in ext3 format, and the secondary is 40gb in FAT32 format. I need every user to be able to access the secondary drive with read/write priveliges. When I try in a user account, it says Access Denied. I tried to edit the hard drive's permissions in the root account (both /mnt/hdb1 and the hdb1 in devices) by right clicking and selecting properties. When I try to save the new configuration, it says 'Changing the attributes of files is not supported with protocol devices'.

    Can anyone help me? I'm not exactly an expert , so maybe I'm missing something.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Hi

    In fact the way stuff are mounted or not in Linux is defined by the /etc/fstab file. You should have a line for your secondary drive looking like :
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    /dev/hda6 / reiserfs defaults 0 1

    You should add the options users and unhide (I think) to allow everyone to mount and see it.

    Cheers,
    ZedroS

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    IOW, from a command prompt issue "sudo mcedit /etc/fstab" then create a line starting with /dev/hdb1 (or edit the possibly existing one), so it should read like
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    you might also want to add "auto" to the list of comma-separated options, so your fat FS is automatically made available on every reboot. The mount point can be different from /mnt/xxx, eg /C - but don't forget to "mkdir /C" then or the mount would fail when referring to a non-existing mount point.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hmm.... I looked in the fstab file, and found this -
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    It looks the same as what was suggested except for the 'noauto'. I'll try changing that to 'auto'.

    Cheers for the help; if there's still problems I'll post again

Similar Threads

  1. Limit Users Access to Folders?
    By GoP-Demon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 02:22 AM
  2. Normal Users can't access windows partitions
    By empanyc in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
  3. creating remote access CD for roaming users
    By mikesb in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:48 AM
  4. help Give users root access
    By warpedmind in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 12:10 AM
  5. Granting ordinary users access to another partition?
    By athlonthunder in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Catalyst 9200 24 Series 24-Port Ethernet Network Switch C9200-24T-E V07 picture

Cisco Catalyst 9200 24 Series 24-Port Ethernet Network Switch C9200-24T-E V07

$400.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco N9K-C93360YC-FX2 Nexus 9300 w/ 96p 1/10/25G,12p 100G,MACsec capable TESTED picture

Cisco N9K-C93360YC-FX2 Nexus 9300 w/ 96p 1/10/25G,12p 100G,MACsec capable TESTED

$3594.95



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$689.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00