Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: X starts with low resolution

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Krakow, Poland
    Posts
    2

    X starts with low resolution

    Hi,
    I've just started Knoppix (3.4/17.05) for the first time, and since I have an lcd monitor with optimal resolution 1280x1024, I booted with "screen=1280x1024". Unfortunately, X started at a lower resolution - 1024x768. I cannot change that using krandr, because it only lists 640, 800 and 1024. What do I have to do to enable that resolution? 1024x768 doesn't look very nice :/
    I suspect that the cause of this might be my non-standard lcd monitor - it's name is Prestigio P171 and I found out that most distros don't detect it automatically and don't have it on the vendor lists ...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Maybe its your video card or refresh rate. What do you have?

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Krakow, Poland
    Posts
    2
    My card is Nvidia Geforce FX 5700. I tried to set vsync= and hsync= values from the monitor manual (60Hz/63,9kHz or 75Hz/80kHz - both are for 1280x1024) but in first case Knoppix started in 800x600, and in the second - in 1024x768...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Nvidia can be a problem. Is your card recognized during the boot process?

    Regards,
    AJG

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    44
    I have a similar problem. My monitor should support 1280x1024@75Hz, but in Linux, I get 1280 at 60Hz, which is quite painful...and I really need my high-res becuz Firefox is so large at 1024x768...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    try sudo kxconfig

Similar Threads

  1. When Knoppix starts it does not go to GUI interface
    By brigi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 05:02 AM
  2. NXclient KDE session starts in German ...
    By jlcurty in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. vi starts slow as molasses after HD install
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
  5. Konqueror automatically starts after hdinstall
    By Kam in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core picture

Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core

$999.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99