-
Senior Member
registered user
Nishtya,
First of all, long time no hear, glad to see you are still around, fellow Linux'er 
Second, I have gone through ( pretty closely ) what you are, I didn't have as much trouble as you had with lm sensors, but did have to deal with a kernel compile from source for my ALSA issue, when Kano's script didn't work, and his suggestion was to gut my system and install Kanotix so I could run his script to get it working - read: sorry, but if Kano's scripts don't work in Knoppix, you need Kanotix for any support... And, lastly, my fellow DIAL-UPer, I have done a lot of this though my rusty phone wiring, and 56K dial-up line connection. I am quite sure that the phone system in Phillips, Wisconsin probably dates back to the first communication between Alexander Bell and his assistant - I think you can still hear that famous quote from Bell to his assistant still in the wires, if you listen closely, in the dial-tone.
All the horrendous apt-get updates, the installs, the downloads, all from a 56K dial-up line... Got to admit one thing though - I have yet to be disconnected with Linux from my ISP, whereas, the "back-up" system I have, that the Significant Other uses, which is running Win98, can't stay connected for more than 10 minutes before it gets kicked off-line by the ISP, or for that matter, requires a reboot every-other-hour, as well...
I guess this is like another "prediction" I had said, in another post: Very soon, CD-ROM's are going to go the way of the Do-Do, and DVD's are going to become the standard - I think we can now add the "prediction" that Dial-Up is going to be the same, shortly. Very soon, 56K is going to go away, just like the old 28K modems did, and the only thing that will be left, will be high-speed connections... T1's, Cable, DSL, or Satalite connections... Or worse, having to create a network server that uses a high-speed internet, even if your network only has one computer in it.
Shall we call this all, "progress" ??????
For some of us, me included, a small town in Wisconsin, is not going to have high-speed internet until we see the "second coming of Jesus", or the cost of living comes down so far that you don't have to be Bill Gates to afford the cost of Phone Company Monopoly that can charge exuberant fees for high-speed - at which, no one in this town can afford on the meager sallary we get paid. ( see, I can't rant as well )
So, Nishtya, are you saying that Kanotix 7a doesn't provide any support for us people who "tread on the low-end of technology" ???? I was thinking on looking into Kanotix, if it can't support my "old" technology, I guess I won't be going to Kanotix then...
Oh well, at least Knoppix v3.4 still provides us "low-end'ers" of internet connectivity, some dial-up access - still, thankfully...
Ms. Cuddles
( ps - I still haven't gotten my i2c working in v3.4 kernel 2.6.6 )
Similar Threads
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By ziggyrafiq in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
-
By nashjc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 12:14 AM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By bgristwo in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2
$76.20

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00

PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop
$120.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5� Floppy
$24.99

Apple IIc Vintage Computer w/ Monitor, Keyboard, Joystick, ImageWriter II
$350.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh M1212 Color Display Monitor *Untested*
$69.99