Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: New Knoppix Book: Knoppix Hacks by O'reilly

  1. #31
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by The-Big-E
    Hey Kyle,
    Great book! When can we expect the sequel?
    Thanks! This book is just barely out right now so I'd imagine it will be a few years before it needs an upgrade

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Great Job!

    I really enjoyed it. Some hacks are very relevant to my interests. I am itching to try the Kiosk, #24, but have been on the road, etc.

    I haven't been able to dig out the Kiosk from the forums, it may be burried there but very much obfucated. You laid it out very clearly.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cibolo, TX, USA
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Big-E
    Hey Kyle,
    Great book! When can we expect the sequel?
    Thanks! This book is just barely out right now so I'd imagine it will be a few years before it needs an upgrade
    Not an upgrade I am talking about hacks 101-200

  4. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9
    I'm no expert at Linux or Knoppix, but I must say that I just bought this book and it is fantastic. I highly recommend it to everyone.

  5. #35
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    38
    Excellent work Kyle It has all the things I keep forgetting (bought mine on the Linux Expo in the Netherlands)
    the remastering section is great.

  6. #36
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    This book is just barely out right now so I'd imagine it will be a few years before it needs an upgrade
    Any thought to the upgrade, yet? If yes, I would not mind contributing; how would I go about doing that?

  7. #37
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by SiKing
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    This book is just barely out right now so I'd imagine it will be a few years before it needs an upgrade
    Any thought to the upgrade, yet? If yes, I would not mind contributing; how would I go about doing that?
    Funny you should say that, I'm near the end up the update to Knoppix Hacks right now! Plans are for it to be out this fall. Unfortunately it's too late for you to be able to contribute, but perhaps next time

  8. #38
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    Unfortunately it's too late for you to be able to contribute, but perhaps next time
    So what do I do, so that I dont miss out "next time"?

  9. #39
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by SiKing
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    Unfortunately it's too late for you to be able to contribute, but perhaps next time
    So what do I do, so that I dont miss out "next time"?
    Honestly that's tough for me to say. There are a limited number of hacks aren't written by me, and for the most part those hacks are written by the creator of a project (for instance Klik) about their project. The majority of the hacks I write myself.

    Are you in involved in Knoppix development or the creator of a Knoppix-based live CD? If what you are involved in makes for a useful hack, and particularly if you have writing experience, it would increase the likelihood that you might be asked to contribute if another edition comes out.

    -Kyle

  10. #40
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Re: Knoppix Hacks II

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfly
    Are you in involved in Knoppix development or the creator of a Knoppix-based live CD? If what you are involved in makes for a useful hack, and particularly if you have writing experience, it would increase the likelihood that you might be asked to contribute if another edition comes out.
    None of that. I'm just some guy that started poking around too much into one feature of Knoppix, because it did not do what I wanted it to do - persistent home and configuration, hack #21 I believe. I have some ideas on how to enhance it, and how to hack it up (in the spirit of your book).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Hacks Book problem
    By empress101 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
  2. Knoppix Hacks from O'Reilly won't boot
    By rgavel in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM
  3. Knoppix hacks book
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
  4. Looking for Author for Knoppix book
    By whil in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 10:56 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP Phone T85W picture

Yealink SIP Phone T85W

$153.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



LOT OF 7 Grandstream GXP2170 High-End IP Phone - Black picture

LOT OF 7 Grandstream GXP2170 High-End IP Phone - Black

$175.00